Unable to Cry

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

nmabis

Unable to Cry

Postby nmabis » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:53 pm

So,I've been struggling with depression for several years now, and I've noticed something recently that's been bothering me. No matter how sad I get, and sadness is something I deal with every day, I don't ever cry.I feel all this emotion building up inside me and it's driving me insane. I think I've cried twice in the past five years, and the last time it took me trying to kill myself. I would really like to release some of this emotion without it coming to that extreme. I need to be able to cry, someone please help.

PianoStrings

I know how you feel

Postby PianoStrings » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:16 am

Hi, I know how you feel. I've been struggling with the same problem for a long time now. I'm desperate to cry, to scream, to express my feelings somehow, but I just can't. I think it's because I've been suppressing how I feel for so long that I've forgot how to show how I feel. I know how frustrating and painful it feels. Like you want to explode but can't. All I can say to you is that you are not alone. Something must have happened to make you feel this way, whether it is long term depression or an event that shocked you into feeling numb. Try to think back to the last time you cried. For real, about something unrelated to depression. Try to remember how you felt. It might help. Perhaps even try to find other ways to express your feelings- punch a pillow, do some extreme exercise, dance, write poetry, paint, sing loudly, or just scream. Anything is better than nothing. I wish you all the best, and I hope one day you find what you're looking for. Please try to hold on. Life sucks, but the way you're feeling now isn't necessarily the way you will feel your whole life. Try to take it a day at a time. Hold on. I promise one day it will be worth it.

defeated

Postby defeated » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Hey nmabis,

I completely understand how much it sucks not to be able to cry. Are you on any medication? In the past when I am on certain medications I am unable to cry. It's a horrible feeling. *hugs* Hang in there. Sometimes I watch a sad movie, it helps to get some release.

GlassHeart

Postby GlassHeart » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:43 pm

I am not going to discourage you from releasing your emotions.
But here's a flip side to that story: I cry a lot, actually.
At my counseling place, I am not allowed to cry, raise my voice, or act indignant at the things that have been done to me over the years. The walls are paper thin. One time I raised my voice while in a counseling session about some things that were happening to me, and the doctor in the next office barged in and told me to shut up! That only made me whine and cry harder. She was threatening to call the police!
Is there any really appropriate place to just "open up"? I cry in the privacy of the house I live in, but worry the neighbors will hear me.
Showing negative emotions is something in today's society that is strictly discouraged and taboo. (I express myself by writing sick poetry sometimes.)
You may have internalized the fact that you are not supposed to express negative emotions, and suppress it at your own expense.
I personally, believe in releasing pent up emotions before reaching the breaking point of explosion or repressing/internalizing them before it reaches the point of self-destruction.
While it must be difficult being unable to find your release, once it builds up enough, you probably will. Hopefully you will find a "safe place" to do so because there is much more risk if you live in a repressive/oppressive society. Sorry to sound so gloomy but it's something I regularly deal with.

viuuiuvy

Re: Unable to Cry

Postby viuuiuvy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm

When my cat passed away in 2013 I cried....although since then it hasn't happened.

Crying makes me sick & nothing makes me feel sad really.....

If you find yourself crying all the time it's a sign that there is something wrong & you might want to see a doctor.

windsong

Postby windsong » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:32 pm

I don't cry that often though lately I've been waking up feeling that I need to. I'm someone that pushes the need to cry back. Don't even like crying when I'm alone as I get mad at myself.

When I really do need to cry and I can't seem to let myself somethings I try are:

Watching a sad show or movie, maybe something I've seen before or something that I've heard is heart wrenching
Listening to a sad song, or one that I consider to be sad and stirs emotions in me.

I don't necessarily like doing these things, but I find its easier to blame it on these than to actually allow myself to cry because I feel the need to.

Katjie

Postby Katjie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:08 am

I cry EVERY day! My life justifies it, I am very sensitive to abuse. Wish sometimes I can hold it in because abusers pounce on you if you are weak...

justoneboy

Thank you

Postby justoneboy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:20 am

This forum is just over 2 years old, but I'm just finding it now. I'm 20 years old, but I also haven't been able to cry for about 5 years now. It hurts. Inside. In a way you can't really explain with words. But it does hurt, all the time. I liken it to a sealed bottle where the air pressure inside keeps increasing and increasing, but the bottle never blows. Thank you for posting this. I've felt so alone for a long time, but knowing that there are other people in the world who feel this way too has made me feel at least a little bit better, and that's something that hasn't happened in a while. So, thank you.

CamilaWillaims

Postby CamilaWillaims » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 am

Crying is good when you are upset after cry we feel free feel low burden.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”