Tell me how you feel

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

destroythestigma

Tell me how you feel

Postby destroythestigma » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:16 pm

My name is Andrea and I'm a 22 year old with depression and anxiety. If I had a penny for every time someone told me to "just be positive" or "depression isn't real, get over it" I'd be one of the wealthiest people around. . If you'd like to share your story or simple blurb about experience with depression and what it really feels like You can also reply directly on here. You can even just finish the sentence "depression really feels like _______"

indianaboy1982

Postby indianaboy1982 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm with you i have been diagnosed with depression/anxiety for about 15 years now i'm currently 32. I wish there wasn't a stigma associated with this..you feel like your the only one but i know that's not true. I really want to start a support group in my local town where there is no help or support group except outside your friends and family which sometimes they just don't understand!!! Bless your heart for being proactive.

indianaboy1982

Postby indianaboy1982 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Been on just about every anti depressant that has been created been hospitalized a few times. Just started to believe that psychiatry has got it all wrong there is no blood test to say you have a chemical imbalance in your brain..don't like the theory of taking you on and off meds the withdrawls can be devastating. Just afraid of going through the hoops again.

nenkohai2

Postby nenkohai2 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:45 am

Guys, I definitely hear what each of you is saying! I'm 51 and was diagnosed with depression and OCD when I was about 30. Know what I've learned? No med is perfect. Any one of them can help but it can't wipe your mind clean of depression, anxiety, or OCD (this is what I have experience with). I forgive the "buck-uppers" for they know not what they do or say. I sometimes tell my wife, "I'm just having an off day." or sometimes, "not a good day..." She doesn't ask me why any more. She knows it just happens without a necessary trigger or cause. Most often, the cause is my mind being a dick. Sometimes a can "see" the thoughts as useless chatter. Doesn't mean I can shut it off, but at least I know what it is and how it arose in my mind. I guess I've learned to "roll with the punches."

Am I "happy?" IDK. To what degree is ANYONE happy? I figure I'm doing okay. And that's something.

My best to you guys.

no_answer

....really feels like

Postby no_answer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:06 pm

...really feels like contraction and narrowing of the space and time, nowhere to travel to in the tiny world, nothing to strive for in the face of shortness of one human life, no one to love or hate except for oneself in the world with the only creature of the only specie, no memory to relish in the past that matters little...that's what it feels like to me

Jackson

Alternatives

Postby Jackson » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Indianaboy1982 -
This is actually my first post on this site and I don't know if you will ever even see it, but if not perhaps it will help someone else here. I just wanted to share with you that there are very effective alternatives to psychiatric medication. For example, there are literally thousands of individuals out there who have suffered from the likes of bi-polar disorder, severe depression etc and have been able to successfully replace psyche meds with specific micro-nutrient formula. Some folks of course do have success with meds but many certainly do not. There are options, even though the medical community is not informed or aware of most or many of them.

If you are interested in more information you can PM me and I will respond. I can include links to peer reviewed research and media sources which have addressed the topic. I and many others have been helped for many years by going this route. If you do want to explore this I strongly recommend that you work with the guidance of an informed and experienced health professional. Do not try to go it alone as that can be dangerous.
I am not giving medical advice. I am simply sharing what has worked for me and many others out there.
Be Well.
Last edited by Jackson on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaryNutter

Postby MaryNutter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 am

I have also seen depression in my life, but I had deal with the situation very well, thanks to my family, friends and my doctor. I will suggest to meditate every day who are suffering from depression, that is very much useful in this condition. To know more you can have a peek at this website.

nenkohai2

Postby nenkohai2 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:23 am

No one here is qualified to give medical advice. If you decide to to go a "natural" or homeopathic route - do NOT do it without at least informing your doctor.

Unless I am mistaken, any product endorsement is outside the TOS agreement.

I'll be checking out that Discovery documentary. I think it may have been less than a good decision to post that as an example of a product's efficacy - not to mention the legality to use it as an endorsement. You might want to consider removing the entire post owing to issues I've brought up.

Jackson

Postby Jackson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 am

nenkohai2 wrote:No one here is qualified to give medical advice. If you decide to to go a "natural" or homeopathic route - do NOT do it without at least informing your doctor.

Unless I am mistaken, any product endorsement is outside the TOS agreement.

I'll be checking out that Discovery documentary. I think it may have been less than a good decision to post that as an example of a product's efficacy - not to mention the legality to use it as an endorsement. You might want to consider removing the entire post owing to issues I've brought up.

I have changed my post so it instead invites anyone interested to PM me for any link information. Product names are removed also. .... Also, I did state in my post advising anyone interested, to consult with their health professional if interested in pursuing this avenue. ..... I'm not sure what you are taking issue with regarding the Discovery Channel film which was done telling the story of how the supplement came to be. It is a very worthwhile piece of film and information.
Of course I would also recommend reviewing the news media reports out of Canadian television which addressed the supplement. Also take a look at the research articles available there.

It is also significant to note that the government health agency in Canada (equivalent to the FDA here in the states), brought suit against the folks offering the product at issue in an effort to have the product banned from sale. The case went to trial and the product won. This was largely because so many mental health consumers of the product strongly protested to the judge how important their access to the supplement was and is to their well being.

Since you sound like you may be opposed and possibly uninformed on this approach, and since it may also be of value to anyone else here. You might want to view/listen to this TedTalk that was given by a researcher and clinical psychologist in New Zealand regarding the use of proper nutritional supplement for treatment of mental illness;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqXHHCc5lA
Last edited by Jackson on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jackson

Postby Jackson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 am

MaryNutter wrote:I have also seen depression in my life, but I had deal with the situation very well, thanks to my family, friends and my doctor. I will suggest to meditate every day who are suffering from depression, that is very much useful in this condition. To know more you can have a peek at this website.

Yes, meditation is an invaluable tool, as well as Hatha Yoga. Those are both tools which helped me for many years. Of course meditation takes time, patience and consistent proper practice to learn and develop in ability, but the rewards are priceless.

The link you posted goes to a fitness web site. I don't know if that was what you meant to post or not.

sadallthetime

Tell me How you Feel

Postby sadallthetime » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:47 pm

How do I feel? Awful, today. I just cancelled lunch with my one friend because I can't bear to be with someone who is happy all the time. I'm 74 and can't make any friends, even though I go to several interest groups. I've burnt so many bridges. I take lots of meds, but I think they help stave off moderate to severe depression, but it's real bad right now and I always have dysthymia. No joy in my life. Husband works, often from home, and is supportive. He couldn't care less about having his own friend or couple friends. I get so lonely, feel like there's no hope and when I die, will not be able to remember (before I die) any good times.

:cry:

Jackson

reply to ...

Postby Jackson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 pm

sadallthetime -
I hear your pain. I've been there many times in the past. The terrain is very familiar. .... There are alternatives that are working very well for many people out there.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”