What does motivation feel like?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

100footpole

This is How

Postby 100footpole » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 am

Good job Dane.

To me motivation is to try something. If it makes you feel better ... keep doing it, even though its hard.

I think that was I Am Larry's point.

I try to avoid metaphors, but look at Newton's First Law. To get something moving requires an "unbalanced force". But once it is moving it keeps moving. I think that motivation is that "unbalanced force" ... and each of us has to generate mental energy to become unbalanced forces. If you ask physicists where that energy came from eventually you end up at "The Big Bang". What happened before "The Big Bang"? That's where theology meets science. Similarly, each of us needs to provide energy for our lives ... and where that energy comes from is up to the individual.

That being said ... remember that in English dog spelled backwards is ...

"This is How" is a book by Augusten Burroughs that I have read three times. For me its not scripture, but it is a great commentary on truth.

Dane1228

thank you

Postby Dane1228 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:38 am

i will try to read the book. today is hard already, but i did shower and brush my teeth and am not in the bed yet.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:25 pm

100footpole,
You lost me where you made mention of what dog spells backwards in English...
Uh, what was your point??

100footpole

Down Dog

Postby 100footpole » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:29 am

4EverMe

I'm sorry. That was obscure. We all know that dog in reverse is god. But, what does that mean. Mathematically / Logically ... nothing. But you can't tell that to your dog.

I was thinking that based on the big bang. Because anything that happened before that happened before the creation myth is undiscovered ... because of lack of evidence.

My point was that eventually we need to interact with unpredictable stuff that we cannot control. Like our dog. If I don't take him out there is going to be more work to take care of. Motivation for me comes from making sustainable interactions. Models for those interactions get clustered around the term "God" through myths, epistles, and axioms.

Dane1228 wrote: "i did shower and brush my teeth and am not in the bed yet" which is cool. He was also on the internet letting us know, which is even cooler. From that we can generate a universe of meaning. If we don't have meaning ... then the best part of our day IS sleep. When we are awake we feel that we need to do something ... shower, brush, type. I try to repeat the things that make me feel good and then try other things ... walk the dog, do a puzzle, say hello.

Today I feltl like c**p when I forced myself to get out of bed. My stomach hurts because being awake puts me in fight or flight mode. I didn't want to start the computer, but once I started typing all this I feel like I can do something. My stomach feels a little better. Sharing with you gives my actions a purpose. Soon, I will also shower, brush my teeth, and then go to the library. Later I'll walk the dog. Yesterday I looked at a Wikibook that I had contributed to two years ago. Its gotten a lot better, I think I might make some more changes to it.

javascript:emoticon(':idea:')Remember dog spelled backwards in English is ....

CitM

Postby CitM » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 am

To the original post, I think you answered your own question. Many people want to do things, but don't feel like they have the energy to do them. Is it low energy? Or lack of finding anything interesting? I think motivation is a complexity of elements. To feel motivated one must
1. Find it interesting or wanting to conquer it.
2. Have the energy to start and see it through.
3. Feel that it has priority over other things in your day.

And even those have skill sets in and of themselves that are needed to attain those three. But it does feel good when all that connects and I get something accomplished! I tend to feel motivated to do arts and crafts, needles work and art lately. Before, I never felt enough motivation for anything. It's a good start. I'll take it and the rest will follow.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:49 am

Citm,

Totally agree that these three axioms:

1. Find it interesting or wanting to conquer it.
2. Have the energy to start and see it through.
3. Feel that it has priority over other things in your day.

Define motivation. Trouble is what happens when you don't have the pre-requistite conditions?

Can I suggest:
If nothing is interesting ... do stuff for others. Cleaning is good. Find something outside of yourself and the places you control and make it better.

Even if you don't see it through ... you make a difference. I pick up trash on the street and throw it away. I am depressed about the trash ... throwing it away doesn't make it go away ... but the world is a little nicer, and I'm convinced that all our trash dumps will become resources in 100 to 500 years :roll:

Finally, priorities ... Pat yourself on the back for making it through the day! I keep making lists of things to do. But when they get too full I just throw the list away in the evening and then starting a new list the next day. My favorite feeling is when something pops back on the list after a week or so and I get it done. I've got some things that have been on and off my list for months now. Today I think I will go the hardware store and buy some of the materials I need. The springs on my front screen door have been busted since last spring. I bought one, but then took it over to someones house and fixed their front door. I've been beating myself up because my door is still broken. Today I am going to get the materials. I will fix it ... if not this time then the next. :lol:

I am the best failure I can be 8) ... and today that is enough for me.

NickStokes

Postby NickStokes » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:08 am

Go day by day...

NickStokes

Postby NickStokes » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:08 am

Go day by day...

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”