Depression and Job Hunting

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

BrokenPen

Depression and Job Hunting

Postby BrokenPen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Does anyone else find job hunting disheartening as well as discouraging? Each time I do it I can't help but find myself so discouraged that my mind starts to work backwards towards a very dark place of hopelessness and the eventual finality of a very permanent solution.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Look at it like a numbers game. For every no you get, that puts you mathmatically and statistically closer to that inevitable yes.

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Obayan wrote:Look at it like a numbers game. For every no you get, that puts you mathmatically and statistically closer to that inevitable yes.

By that logic I should be closer but in actuality I'm not.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:44 pm

I don't know what else to say other than to just keep trying. Don't give up.

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Obayan wrote:I don't know what else to say other than to just keep trying. Don't give up.

I'll keep at it, but really how can one not take it personally when you're passed over for a job?

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Because the company was lacking, tell yourself you probably wouldn't have liked it anyways, and this way you aren't miserable and then struggling with wanting to quit. There will be better jobs.

APSecond

Postby APSecond » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Obayan wrote:Look at it like a numbers game. For every no you get, that puts you mathmatically and statistically closer to that inevitable yes.

Actually, that makes me feel better than anything anyone else has said, even though it's still a very bleak situation.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Nothing in the history of the world ever happened just once. Not good or bad. Everything around us is constantly in a state of change even though sometimes it's so small we can't see it right away. So, to me, that means the situation you are in is also changing even if you can't readily see it. Keep working at it and you will find what you are seeking. The key here is just don't give up.

APSecond

Postby APSecond » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Obayan wrote:Nothing in the history of the world ever happened just once. Not good or bad. Everything around us is constantly in a state of change even though sometimes it's so small we can't see it right away. So, to me, that means the situation you are in is also changing even if you can't readily see it. Keep working at it and you will find what you are seeking. The key here is just don't give up.

What makes it so difficult and crushing is that you see the job as the key to your problem now, be it unemployment or a job you simply want to leave which is my problem. When you get no responses or ultimately don't get the job, you start to see your current situation as permanent, permanently is this miserable situation. Just makes you want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”