physical symptoms of depression/anxiety grr

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

danadou

physical symptoms of depression/anxiety grr

Postby danadou » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 pm

The awful physical symptoms that can go with depression are so scary sometimes like chest tightness like a heart attack, back pain, headaches, etc.... Now that I am used to the tightness in my chest, shortness of breath and mind you I am a healthy twenty-something who exercises on a regular basis... it is just frustrating and feels inconvenient to have these symptoms. Especially when nothing is really wrong sometimes. Maybe I do have every day stressors but these things are my every day so how do I control it anymore without any medicine, and all the breathing techniques psychs and yogis give me to do in a time of desperation and frustration. I refuse to take medications on a regular basis because any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety has made me so slow and forgetful and I don't have time for that. I guess venting helps, but even as I am doing this, my chest just gets all tight and twisted... grr :x

Mags13

Postby Mags13 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Have you tried meditation?

Also, while I understand your concern with medications, they did help me for quite some time. But it just took me some time to find the right one...at the right dosage.

Just a thought. For me personally, the medications stabilized everything else until I could manage. Then I went off the medications. The process isn't always easy, it can help.

danadou

exhausted

Postby danadou » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 am

I have tried every medication I was able to try without doing any damage, and the doctor concluded that anti-depressants were not the way to go for me as the side effects I obtain disrupt my every day life too much, and don't seem to go away after the alotted time. I also have done ativan as needed, but it messes with my memory and I need that between everything! That is the only med I can tolerate but I never have enough time to recover from how groggy and slow it can make you.

I have done yoga, I work out, I lay around and take deep breathes, I light candles for myself lol... I do counseling as well which becomes redundant and overwhelming talking about the same problem that won't go away, I really do everything in my power to "chill out" really, but I just have all this residual stress that builds up in my chest when I get to settle down. Maybe I need to make more time for fun, but if docs could write scripts for extra time I would be saved. It could be situational as well, but I feel like there isn't anything I should be overly anxious about and that I am not dealing with like any other person my age (twenties)... so I just take things as they come step by step and try not to be too hard on myself when I can't take bigger leaps than I want at a time. Easier said than done of course!

LunaCat

Re: physical symptoms of depression/anxiety grr

Postby LunaCat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 am

danadou wrote:The awful physical symptoms that can go with depression are so scary sometimes like chest tightness like a heart attack, back pain, headaches, etc.... Now that I am used to the tightness in my chest, shortness of breath and mind you I am a healthy twenty-something who exercises on a regular basis... it is just frustrating and feels inconvenient to have these symptoms. Especially when nothing is really wrong sometimes. Maybe I do have every day stressors but these things are my every day so how do I control it anymore without any medicine, and all the breathing techniques psychs and yogis give me to do in a time of desperation and frustration. I refuse to take medications on a regular basis because any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety has made me so slow and forgetful and I don't have time for that. I guess venting helps, but even as I am doing this, my chest just gets all tight and twisted... grr :x

I know exactly what you mean with the chest tightness despite being healthy. I didn't have that symptom for the longest time, and then it started to come back. It's amazing how intense it can be. I hope you find something that helps to relieve the stress enough to elevate some of the pain whether it be CBT, medications, a combination or something else.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 am

The mind will affect the body just as the body will affect the mind. However, some of these symptoms can also be explained by a multitude of physical problems as well. It's always best to check with a doc to make sure it's the depression and not an illness.

Mrsderby

Word from the wise (lol)

Postby Mrsderby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I have lived with bipolar and depression all my life. Did not take meds. Kept quiting therapy. Didn't want to talk about the "issues". Decided I was young and strong and could "do it on my own".

10 years ago I was proven wrong. I began having pseudoseizures. The doctors describe it as a "physical manifestation of a psychological stressor". In English that means my body is reacting to what my mind refuses to handle. They resemble full blown Grand Mal seizures. There is no treatment. There is no cure. Except, of course, the thing I most do not want to do - deal with the issues. I am now developing severe health problems. I read recently that the life expectency of those with bipolar and depression is considerably shorter, not only due to suicide, but because it makes us more succeptable to illness and disease. I am living proof of that.

Not saying this to whine, but to advise. Deal with the issues. Take the meds. Stay in therapy. Do whatever you have to do to "get well". Do it now before it is too late. I too have severe side effects to most meds. The ones I am currently on have killed my appetite. Have lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. Weak and dizzy all the time. However, my depression is getting better. My moods are beginning to stabilize. I understand that a lot of meds make you groggy and affect your memory. Me too. But the alternative is not pretty.

Please do not be like me. Wake up one day old and sick. ruining your "perfect" life because of past issues. Hearing your daughter cry because she is afraid you are going to die soon. Tearing your husbands heart out every time he has to take you to the hospital because you are sick again.

The choice is yours. I pray you find the right path to health and wellness.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”