my mom has depression and I need help

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Livvie

my mom has depression and I need help

Postby Livvie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:36 am

My mom has been depressed since I can remember and usually, because of her medicine, she acts pretty normal. Maybe "normal" isn't the right word... predictable might be better. Her moods even out and she seems somewhat happy until recently. My brother moved out of the house and as a result, my mom is lashing out, refusing to take her medicine, blaming everyone (myself included), and talking about suicide.

I don't know how to help her.
I have been having anxiety attacks and I am lost on what to do anymore
Any time I try to talk to her, she ignores me, or gets angry, or goes to her room and locks the door and sleeps.

Blueskies

Re: my mom has depression and I need help

Postby Blueskies » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 pm

:cry: you need to take care of yourself first !!! Try to distract yourself with friends and fun things !!!

lisamarieh

Postby lisamarieh » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 am

This is very worrying, she needs her meds, is there anyone she’ll listen to? Maybe your brother? Get them to spell out the importance of the meds. Sending love xxx

Regina Quirion

Postby Regina Quirion » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:42 am

I feel sorry for your mom’s condition. As you have said that your mom isn’t ready to take your advice for improving her condition, have someone who can do that for you, maybe your brother or father. Make her realize that depression is not something that can kill anyone and it is treatable if she follows the right approach. Additionally, try to know her interests. If she likes reading, bring her some motivational books, magazines, etc. You can also use cbt to help her get off negative thoughts and cultivate positive thinking. Hope this will help.

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 am

Hi Livvie,

I see that this is an old post. However, like Regina, I will reply too in case other people are going through similar experiences and find some useful suggestions in this thread.

I believe it is a common occurrence. Depression can make us more sensitive, agitated, or withdrawn more than usual.

It is hard to know what to do in that situation. Often there isn’t really a whole lot we can do, except perhaps just reassure them that you are there when they need you.

There were some good suggestions in the comments below. As the others pointed out, maybe speak to your brother. He might be able give your mother reassurance.

Perhaps your mom needs a little time to process everything on account of your brother moving out.

What about if your brother visited her? Maybe the visit would soothe her, and he might be able to encourage her to take her medication.

Do you know if she has any close friends or anyone she trusts? She might be more willing to open up to them and they can help her raise her spirits and encourage her to go back on the medication.

If the situation worsens, maybe someone in the family will need to make a doctors appointment on your mom’s behalf to get some advice.

If she continues down this road, she may need to be in hospital for her own protection. But that is something only the doctor can advise and choice the family can make.

I hope her spirits lift enough for her to at least take the medication and start talking again.

You are doing a marvelous job, though. She may not be able to show it right now, but deep down in her heart she would have so much gratitude. If she wasn’t depressed right now, I’m sure she would tell you herself how much she loves you and appreciates your support.

Keep strong and hold onto faith that she will get better.

MarcRiddick

Postby MarcRiddick » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 am

It happens a lot to the parents when kids move out, it leaves a hole in their heart, I stuffed it up with a cat, though, I do not know how, but it helped her.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:51 am

Livvie wrote:My mom has been depressed since I can remember and usually, because of her medicine, she acts pretty normal. Maybe "normal" isn't the right word... predictable might be better. Her moods even out and she seems somewhat happy until recently. My brother moved out of the house and as a result, my mom is lashing out, refusing to take her medicine, blaming everyone (myself included), and talking about suicide.

I don't know how to help her.
I have been having anxiety attacks and I am lost on what to do anymore
Any time I try to talk to her, she ignores me, or gets angry, or goes to her room and locks the door and sleeps.

Your mom is unhappy simply because her children are growing up. I dont know how you can do it, seeming as she refuses to listen. I guess to have to be effective in communicating to her and tug on her heart strings so much that she would be willing to listen to you. She has you, so why is she upset. Make her see sense, Let her know that her family still love her and that everyone is growing up, etc. Good luck.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”