I think my girlfriend has depression...help

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Caeser

I think my girlfriend has depression...help

Postby Caeser » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:48 pm

So here's what I've got on the situation. I'm fairly sure my girlfriend has depression and an issue with Anxiety. We've been together for just over a year now and we're in a fairly stable relationship considering our ages. We're both just finished our GCSEs and now we're just waiting on the results. The problem is she is unsure of what to do for a levels and this is sending her into big panic attacks and I don't really know how to help properly because I'm in just as bad of a situation myself. It happens at least once a week but I'll open up facebook messenger on my phone and shes stuck in this mood where she seems hopeless. She's really intelligent and creative and can probably do anything she sets her mind to but she's convinced that she's not good enough. I've tried to help as best I can but there's only so much I can do when I'm dealing with my own depression and anxiety over the same things. I dunno what to do but I want to do what's best for her.

rosarchie

Re: I think my girlfriend has depression...help

Postby rosarchie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi,
From what I've read you and your girlfriend sound similar to me and my boyfriend and this was how I felt when I was about to start at college. I am now 21 but I've had depression since I was around 14 and my boyfriend also suffers with it, so I know how you both feel.
I had always wanted to work with animals but never felt good enough to do a really academic subject like biology and like your girlfriend, I was told that I was capable of doing anything but didn't believe people. So I ended up picking subjects I did well in my GCSE's and forgot about my real dream job with animals.
I finished college with a levels in art and textiles but realised I didn't want to continue this and so at this point I was really lost. I ended up taking a year out, did some volunteering and worked on my mental health and after my boyfriends encouragement I ended up going back into education to get my biology a-level which then meant I could go on to do my degree in Animal Behaviour and I learnt I was capable and that I should have more faith in myself and my abilities.
The point I'm making with this is, you are young and if you don't know exactly what you're doing it's not the end of the world. Just try to choose subjects you think you'll enjoy, something you like learning about and continue to support your girlfriend and encourage her with her decisions. Remind her of her successes and that there's no harm in trying and everything has a lesson behind it.
In regards to her mental health, encourage her to talk about her feelings, if she decides to go to the doctors with it - support her. Just having someone support her will make the difference. Best of luck to you both

Prycejosh1987

Re: I think my girlfriend has depression...help

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Caeser wrote:So here's what I've got on the situation. I'm fairly sure my girlfriend has depression and an issue with Anxiety. We've been together for just over a year now and we're in a fairly stable relationship considering our ages. We're both just finished our GCSEs and now we're just waiting on the results. The problem is she is unsure of what to do for a levels and this is sending her into big panic attacks and I don't really know how to help properly because I'm in just as bad of a situation myself. It happens at least once a week but I'll open up facebook messenger on my phone and shes stuck in this mood where she seems hopeless. She's really intelligent and creative and can probably do anything she sets her mind to but she's convinced that she's not good enough. I've tried to help as best I can but there's only so much I can do when I'm dealing with my own depression and anxiety over the same things. I dunno what to do but I want to do what's best for her.

Its tricky because usually people know what they want to do before they leave school. Well at least i did. I think your girlfriend should see a careers adviser. Or she should explore apprenticeships. The job/welfare centre can also help her in job choices. Theres no age requirement (well technically) when searching for advice on a career you are thinking of doing.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”