My Dad is depressed

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Abb.faith

My Dad is depressed

Postby Abb.faith » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 pm

I am a 16 year old girl who's dad is going through a bad bout of depression. My mom hasn't really taken his depression seriously enough. My dad hasn't been bringing in much money due to his depression and we're in a financially bad situation at the moment. My mom keeps expecting him to bring in the money but he just can't due to the depression. He's asked my mom is she can step it up and handle some bills as he tries to work the depression out which will have him get better if he doesn't have to worry about paying a few bills (which my mom can take care up but doesn't want to as she isn't taking it seriously) He is seeing a psychiatrist but im really the only one in the family who he vents to and who is there for him. I really want him to get better but I'm just a 16 year old girl and I can't do much. Please help me this pressure and weight is too much combined with keeping good grades in school.

Muffet

Re: My Dad is depressed

Postby Muffet » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:04 pm

I’m sorry for the struggles you and your family are experiencing, @abb.faith. But I am relieved to know that your father is seeing a psychiatrist. It’s definitely a traumatic time for all of you in your own ways. As you said, you have your pressures of getting good grades plus all the other challenges you face as a teenager. And I’m guessing your mother is facing her own set of challenges, too. Based on my past experience with therapists, it’s not unusual for family members to be invited to therapy themselves, sometimes individually and sometimes as a family group. Has that been mentioned at all? Or do you have a counselor at school you could talk this through with?

The fact that you care enough about your family to reach out here is tremendous. You sound like a wonderful daughter and person!

Abb.faith

Postby Abb.faith » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Thank you very much @muffet that means a lot to me. We're trying to get into group therapy but it doesn't look like it happening anytime soon. I know things will get better but it's just a matter of when. Thank you again :)

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:09 pm

Abb.faith wrote:I am a 16 year old girl who's dad is going through a bad bout of depression. My mom hasn't really taken his depression seriously enough. My dad hasn't been bringing in much money due to his depression and we're in a financially bad situation at the moment. My mom keeps expecting him to bring in the money but he just can't due to the depression. He's asked my mom is she can step it up and handle some bills as he tries to work the depression out which will have him get better if he doesn't have to worry about paying a few bills (which my mom can take care up but doesn't want to as she isn't taking it seriously) He is seeing a psychiatrist but im really the only one in the family who he vents to and who is there for him. I really want him to get better but I'm just a 16 year old girl and I can't do much. Please help me this pressure and weight is too much combined with keeping good grades in school.

You need to explain this to your mother. She is supposed to support him more than you because she is his partner and she is closer to his age and has more life experience. He needs to also see a doctor, who can prescribe him something that will help him in his depression for now.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”