Help a depressed friend.

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

EndlessTear

Help a depressed friend.

Postby EndlessTear » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am

Hi guys, I have a friend, he is constantly depressed , he has a lot of problems in his life.

He has a business that's losing money but his business partners won't end it (due to complex reasons) , so he loses money every month and unable to stop that.
He also has problems of alcoholism and sometimes drugs problems.

I really want to help him but whenever he becomes depressed he would go into hiding.

He would not reply to any of my messages for days and I would worry sick about him.

Right now he's doing this again but I don't know when I'm going to be able to see him again.
He's ripping me apart , I wish he'd just tell me what's wrong.

How can I help him??? I have to help him guys!...

I've tried to give him time but now I see that it won't help because he's just going to get better and get worse it's a vicious cycle.

In your experience, what can be done for him at this point? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you in advance!

Endlesstear

asmallkatamari

Re: Help a depressed friend.

Postby asmallkatamari » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello.

Sadly his depression is something he himself needs to confront and ask for help with. You can't force him onto the right path. I know it's frustrating, but the best thing you can do is just let him know you're there for him.

Do you live close to each other? Asking him if he wants to go for a walk in the park with you or get ice cream or small things like that are great for helping him out of the cycle. If he says no, then give him a hug and don't worry about it. Go without him and I'm sure he'll be thinking about the park all day haha. Ask if he wants to go again a couple days later and he might just want to.

If you are internet friends then just let him know you're there and that he can always talk to you. That will mean more than anything. Don't pester him or try to scrape anything out of him. If he doesn't want to ask for help then it's not your responsibility so please don't hold it over yourself.

Take care and best wishes : )

EndlessTear

Postby EndlessTear » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

Thank you so much for your help!
I've decided to compile a file of useful self help information for him,
this way I hope I'm not pushing him too much and he can read it whenever he wants.
Thank you once more :)

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:20 pm

EndlessTear wrote:Hi guys, I have a friend, he is constantly depressed , he has a lot of problems in his life.

He has a business that's losing money but his business partners won't end it (due to complex reasons) , so he loses money every month and unable to stop that.
He also has problems of alcoholism and sometimes drugs problems.

I really want to help him but whenever he becomes depressed he would go into hiding.

He would not reply to any of my messages for days and I would worry sick about him.

Right now he's doing this again but I don't know when I'm going to be able to see him again.
He's ripping me apart , I wish he'd just tell me what's wrong.

How can I help him??? I have to help him guys!...

I've tried to give him time but now I see that it won't help because he's just going to get better and get worse it's a vicious cycle.

In your experience, what can be done for him at this point? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you in advance!

Endlesstear

I think there is one problem that needs to be solved. The reason why your friend is in this mode is because of one main thing. His business. The partners should be looking at ways he can draw a profit (and more income) on his business. Tell him to work on advertising and promotions and take it from there.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”