Long suffering

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

GarethE

Long suffering

Postby GarethE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 am

I love my wife but I am not an easy person to live with due to my illness. I depend on her and without her support I would go under, stop working and probably get into addiction. However, she struggles to cope and needs support herself. My meds have killed my libido so I can't even give her physical love.

Do I do what's right and let her go as she's young enough to start again. Is it fair on me to do that to myself?

Oh god I hate this illness

Feelings

Re: Long suffering

Postby Feelings » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:04 pm

In same boat myself. Have been without my wife for a year and have seen her once. Its best to let them go no matter how much it hurts. U have to love yourself before you can love another. Meds I have same problem with them .......wish I never started them. Stay strong and head up.

Feelings

Postby Feelings » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Or please try couples counciling before u up and let go. I know there is no help for my situation yours maybe different.

CitM

Postby CitM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi,

What has been very successful for bipolar people and PTSD are client run family support groups. Let me explain how it works. This is a group of families that come together where one or more of the family members have a mental illness.

The first hour everyone meets together, and the second hour, clients stay in one room and share issues, health strategies and coping mechanisms, while family members go into another room to support each other and give helpful advice and share coping mechanisms.

This actually works because it gets rid of the idea that the mentally ill person is the entire problem in family dynamics (because that is not true) and helps a lot to reduce the stress because you know of people in the area that also are living with similar situations.

Good luck, and do not give up on getting better.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 pm

GarethE wrote:I love my wife but I am not an easy person to live with due to my illness. I depend on her and without her support I would go under, stop working and probably get into addiction. However, she struggles to cope and needs support herself. My meds have killed my libido so I can't even give her physical love.

Do I do what's right and let her go as she's young enough to start again. Is it fair on me to do that to myself?

Oh god I hate this illness

Its not fair to do that to yourself or her. maybe theres no sexual desire but you can still kiss, hug and show natural affection. You understand the situation and you know what to do. Good luck.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”