Help- Anxiety and Depression Affecting My Relationship

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Kait

Help- Anxiety and Depression Affecting My Relationship

Postby Kait » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi,

I am entirely new to this, so I'm not sure where to begin. I have struggled with anxiety my whole life, and over think just about everything. Currently, I am in a relationship with an amazing guy, who is my best friend. As much as he makes me happy, I feel as though I am constantly looking for reasons why he'll end things with me. I've dated a few guys before him, and these relationships were not very positive ones. The guy I was "seeing" before my current boyfriend left me with absolutely zero self-confidence. He basically led me on for over a year, with empty promises about wanting to date me. On multiple occasions he would get mad at me if I got upset that he wouldn't commit, and he would make comments about never wanting to introduce me to his family, or never wanting to commit. Overall, it was a very toxic relationship, and left me very scared of getting close to people.

Now that I am with my current boyfriend I feel as though I don't know how to relax and be happy. I find myself constantly thinking about how he'd probably be happier with other girls. I'm terrified that he's going to get tired of my anxious nature, and move on to somebody else. He always supports me when I breakdown, but I can't help feeling he'll get tired of having to be my rock.

So, I guess I came here to get some advice from people who have been in a similar place? I've been really depressed lately, and I feel like I can't stop focusing on all of the negatives in my relationship, instead of focusing on how lucky I am to have a great guy by my side.

Thanks for reading this novel, I'd love to hear some advice from anybody who has been in my shoes, or from anybody currently dealing with a similar issue. Thanks :)

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:17 pm

No advice, but lots of best wishes.

Thanks for posting.

brianfre76

Re: Help- Anxiety and Depression Affecting My Relationship

Postby brianfre76 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 am

Kait wrote:Hi,

I am entirely new to this, so I'm not sure where to begin. I have struggled with anxiety my whole life, and over think just about everything. Currently, I am in a relationship with an amazing guy, who is my best friend. As much as he makes me happy, I feel as though I am constantly looking for reasons why he'll end things with me. I've dated a few guys before him, and these relationships were not very positive ones. The guy I was "seeing" before my current boyfriend left me with absolutely zero self-confidence. He basically led me on for over a year, with empty promises about wanting to date me. On multiple occasions he would get mad at me if I got upset that he wouldn't commit, and he would make comments about never wanting to introduce me to his family, or never wanting to commit. Overall, it was a very toxic relationship, and left me very scared of getting close to people.

Now that I am with my current boyfriend I feel as though I don't know how to relax and be happy. I find myself constantly thinking about how he'd probably be happier with other girls. I'm terrified that he's going to get tired of my anxious nature, and move on to somebody else. He always supports me when I breakdown, but I can't help feeling he'll get tired of having to be my rock.

So, I guess I came here to get some advice from people who have been in a similar place? I've been really depressed lately, and I feel like I can't stop focusing on all of the negatives in my relationship, instead of focusing on how lucky I am to have a great guy by my side.

Thanks for reading this novel, I'd love to hear some advice from anybody who has been in my shoes, or from anybody currently dealing with a similar issue. Thanks :)

Hi Kait,
Depression is a state of mind which completely depends on our attitude and how we seeing things. Everyone in this world has to face a lot of troubles and challenges in their life. Some will face it with a positive attitude and overcome their challenges, some other may act as a coward. The only difference between them is their attitude. I know, it's not that easy to change our attitude and cultivate positive thoughts within a day, but you can do it step by step. The first thing you have to do is, open your mind to your boyfriend. He can help you. The one we love the most can do wonders in our behavior. You can also practice some meditation or yoga in the morning. A fresh start will create positivity. Hope this may help you. You can also browse for similar articles which can motivate you. Best wishes friend. Stay happy. Be positive. :)

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”