Sister - Alcoholism, depression - delusional memory

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

CloudDogShape

Sister - Alcoholism, depression - delusional memory

Postby CloudDogShape » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:45 pm

I'm taking her to the GP on monday - I will tell her that i will take her for a drink straight after if she says yes. (idea of someone on line) ( I have modelled T total for too long - i get on better with her if i have a drink or two. I think Alcoholism could be a problem with her
but she has admitted to my mum that she gets suicidal if she has way too much. But she has had in the past 2 bottles of wine to herself each evening, and can drink a bottle of whisky in one go, and all over Christmas she was drinking first thing in the morning- even when mum was gone for 10 mins she grabbed my beer then hid it this morning.

She's 35, she self harms. She wrote a poem recently about wanting to stop breathing.

she is a perfectionist artist, and has just stopped her 3rd attempt at doing an MA, she's dyslexic, not academic enough.

she's starting a new relationship. She's had so much abuse in the past, as well as an extremely suicidal sister who died 12 years ago possible suicide
i am trying to say she has all the risk factors except for being male just about.

She has grown up youngest of 3, 2 older schizophrenic sisters.

She has PTSD from trauma age 3

She has worked out how to make herself sick after serious binge eating, which she only controlled by starving until recently

She left christmas to go and lie down, she has no hope in her at the moment for the last several weeks.

I don't know if she is bipolar - or if this is Major Depression
I really think she is having delusional memories
She says a psychic told her 3 years ago that she would meet someone called Stuart on Fri 13th (this is something that happened in real life she thinks that the psychic predicted it.)

she thinks that she knows that she will die early at age 60 and that it will be something to do with Water.

She says that she predicted she wouldn't talk to her new boyfriend over christmas, because of a fallen tree, which happened - the phone lines were down

I don't know if she goes manic, but she does engage in risky behaviour, she does have inhuman amounts of energy to work on her art a lot of the time. She has serious insomnia at the moment
She has plans to take over a business but i think she will not have what it would take coping wise.

I really need to know how to help
I really do, we have lost one sister already.

CrazyLady17

Postby CrazyLady17 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Oh I'm sorry to hear that.

(((Hugs)))

Frame

Postby Frame » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Cloud;

A lot of information there. First of all welcome to the forum and Thank you for all the detail. It must have been an effort.

It's an excellent idea to see a professional. From my bit of experience this sounds like she's past bipolar. Delusions can be caused by many factors; sleep deprivation being one. And manic depression will do that.

From what you have said, it sounds like she's running very hard to get away from something in her head, which points me to psychosis. But, you didn't mention hallucinations. Which makes me think not schizophrenic.

Binging and purging is going to force chemical imbalances and organ damage. So she needs to be treated. Your GP will know better, but sometimes people need to be committed to hospital in order to return to some sustainable stability.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but we both know it's a labor of Love. Get her to the doctor.
Frame

CrazyLady17

Postby CrazyLady17 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:12 pm

I agree with frame.

Elysium

Postby Elysium » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:48 am

Professional help would probably be beneficial.

Other than that, two general suggestions that I would exercise are:
Make her look at the world outside.
State the obvious.

"the obvious" does not need to be clashing pictures to her own, neither does it need to be enhancing her ideas or mindsets. As long as it's some kind of truth grounded in reality, it does not matter. "I love you, but you drink too much. That makes me sad." is an obvious observation from your point of view. "The trees and rocks do not seem to care about the world in the same sense that we do." is an obvious observation from most points of view. This probably has to come more natural for you though, but you can keep an eye out and feel into it if you want to. Stating the obvious in different ways can potentially be a way of making her look at the world outside of her own mind. What you want her to do is to look at the world outside and explore it on its own terms, rather than on some terms set up in her mind.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”