Anyone with family telling you to stay no matter what?

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

RiceGirl

Anyone with family telling you to stay no matter what?

Postby RiceGirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Some of my family says STAY - others don't say one thing or another - others say, "We hope you get back together.

I'm tired, and I'm not the one with depression ... :roll:

PixieArmy

Postby PixieArmy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 am

Dear RiceGirl,

From your post I am guessing that your spouse has depression?

It is hard to judge, and it is hard to know what to do. People will tell you their opinion, based on their life experience, values and spiritual background. At the end, you are the only one that know how much you can take, who knows how far you want to go into the relationship.

I hope you find the support you need

PixieArmy

Frame

Postby Frame » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 am

Pixie makes a good point Rice.

My ex-wife succeeded (as far as I can tell) when she left, not only because I didn't fight, but because she had family willing to support her and see her succeed. I hadn't thought of it till now but, trying to do it alone could be so much harder. And we both know under the best circumstances it's not easy.

So perhaps part of the break (should it come to that) will be laying the ground work before hand, of convincing people you need that this is better for everyone. In doing that work you may gather the facts you need to actually make the decision; is it better to leave or better to stay. Getting commitments (or not) for help before hand, could give you peace of mind and courage.

Frame

Postby Frame » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:06 am

But, you know Rice, stay or go you can still work toward balance and equality in the relationship. Most of the choices in that vein might be difficult and about stepping back; they may seem to run counter to compassion. But choosing maintain your dignity is not a selfish ddecision. It's about balance and creating a greater good for the whole.

Hope I'm not blathering on too much.

Collin

Postby Collin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:24 am

My ex-wife succeeded (as far as I can tell) when she left, not only because I didn't fight, but because she had family willing to support her and see her succeed. I hadn't thought of it till now but, trying to do it alone could be so much harder. And we both know under the best circumstances it's not easy.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”