How to deal with my husband

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

terezka61

How to deal with my husband

Postby terezka61 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:19 am

HI

Today is my birthday but Im celebrating alone after my husband walked out on me not once but twice today.
He has a history of chronical depression and we have been married for ten years .Only a year ago did he managed to get on medication.From them on things were looking up apart from occasional " downs"
The past week his brother was visiting and that definitely stirred something.

Today started good , gave me a present spent a nice day together and then
I leave the house for five minuted and come back and he tells me he wants a divorce NOW.
He left shortly after only to come back an hour later.
He said he was sorry and will not mess me around anymore.Needless to say that lasted not even 10 min.Now he is out again with no phone in the middle of the night.
Not much I can do now and reading this in makes me very sad because I am not freaked out,It is kind of normal....
I do still have hope but I don't know what else to do ...Terezie

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi. I'm so sorry you are having to go thru this. I know with my depression, i sometimes push those away that i really need close to me. It's called isolation and we are experts at it. Unfortunately, we always end up hurting those we love the most. Best i can say is wait until he calms down and sit down and try to talk to him. I know what my daughter does when i say mean things is sit down next to me with her arms around me and say "that was the depression talking, what does my mother want to say to me". It helps a lot.

LuisSteven

Postby LuisSteven » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 am

Remember that large-scale behavior changes always take time. Don't expect an immediate change. Continue to be gentle, compassionate, understanding, and loving. Talk to him about his behavior and see how he reacts. You can start with being honest, by saying, "I feel that I am being taken for granted and this relationship is more about you than me." Don't be afraid to ask a friend or family member for help with any of the steps. Sometimes it is hard to get started when you are depressed and there is no shame in having a friend get the ball rolling.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”