Advice for loved ones, and for those suffering depression

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Eric0620

Advice for loved ones, and for those suffering depression

Postby Eric0620 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Hello,

I was encouraged to offer some of what I put in the "Your Story" section here. Being one who has in the past and currently is fighting depression, there is some advice I would like to offer to you, if I may.

FOR THOSE WATCHING LOVED ONES WHO SUFFER:

If you are dealing with a loved one who is in the midst of this “storm”, one of the most important things you can do is not pity them nor handle them as helpless victims --- that is the last thing they need or want. They are not being weak, but are doing the best they can to cope with an unbearable existence of pain. We realize this is an extremely difficult challenge for those of you watching helplessly because you can’t make it go away, but the best thing you can honestly do is patiently and carefully love them through it every step of the way together, and pray for a quick end to their pain. Just being there to listen to them, if they are willing to talk about it, will help them feel less isolated and it will have a bigger impact than you realize. If they are not willing to talk about it, then do not try to force it, and just leave them alone with the offer to listen if they change their mind. When and if they are willing to talk about it, chances are that this will be part of what helps them slowly return triumphantly back to health.

FOR THOSE SUFFERING DEPRESSION:

I know I am not alone in the world as I originally thought, and that people in this situation are not “crazy” at all. Do NOT think of yourself as weak ---- you have been trying to be strong for so long by trying to fight against depression’s arsenal, and that is definitely not weakness. Some people are afraid to seek help out of the stigma for needing help --- don't be! Receiving counseling for depression is pretty much identical to a student obtaining help from a tutor at school in the sense that some people simply need extra help. For many, the help that we need must be monitored by a doctor, but as much as we wish it wouldn't, depression strikes often and antidepressants are merely deterrents.

If you are feeling great, do not fool yourself and take yourself off your meds for depression. I had two experiences with this --- one where a former, foolhardy doctor took me off them abruptly, and another where I took myself off them because I was feeling great. Both times, I deteriorated rapidly --- not because "I knew" I would, but because my brain is "wired" in such a way that it cannot prevent the low levels of neurotransmitters on its own. The meds help correct this abnormality.

There simply is no shame in needing help.
Last edited by Eric0620 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 am

Such wonderfull advice. I do hope it finds it's way into someone's heart.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”