What's wrong with me?

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

sadman

What's wrong with me?

Postby sadman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm almost 40. I have a great wife, amazing kids, a good job, dozens of close friends, sports and hobby's I enjoy ... but I'm sad, anxious and I feel inadequate all the time. I've tried therapy. I've tried taking SAM-e. I've tried exercise. I've tried alcohol and sex. Not much cheers me up. I just feel numb most of the time, and this impending sense of doom, that everything is going to fall apart. I'm thinking I should go see a doc and get on some stronger Meds. I'm afraid they won't work and then I'll be all out of options. I just want to feel better and stop dragging my wife and kids down into my quagmire.

I'm sure the drugs will make my family happy, but will they make me happy?

DeepEyes

Postby DeepEyes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:41 pm

hello friend, well when i was first diagnosed prozac i was fortunate that it seemed to work great and still does now, medical science is quite amazing these days and the shear volume of anti-depressant drugs out there is huge, and im sure the GP will be correct in prescribing the correct one, while anti-depressants will not solve your problems they in some cases do make it a lot easier, and help you remain more positive, one thing depression does is make every molehill a mountain, and if you get prescribed the right drug then it does help to put it back in perspective, i would say yes on the right anti-depressant they can make you happy, but the problems that often cause depression no drug can solve, thats up to you, good luck my friend xxx

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:11 am

I went to my GPs and found them really helpful. I'm presently taking Prozac and I do find it helpful. Although, it was the third thing that my GP and I tried. Anti-depressants are a bit like Goldilocks and the three bowls of porridge, it may take you a while to find one that's just right for you.
I don't have all the answers, I'm not sure I have any of them, but I can't help wondering if there is some reason behind your feelings of anxiety, depression and impending doom. I know there was with me, before I could start managing my anxiety and depression I had to acknowledge and start working through issues in my life that had contributed to my crashing as hard as I did. Hopefully, you have a good GP that you can confide in, and perhaps different meds will help you. However, part of my problem was denying my anxiety and depression, and quite a lot of the feelings and thoughts that contributed to both. I notice that you list a lot of good things that you have. But, I can't help wondering if there's something in your life that you feel you lack, some need that isn't being filled that might perhaps be contributing to your feelings of depression, inadequacy, and impending doom. I know that that was the case with me.
I would also suggest that you shouldn't be too worried if you try a specific med, and it doesn't work. Talk to your GP, there are quite a few meds and approaches that you and your GP can try. If one, doesn't work, hopefully another will. Good Luck!

shatteredhopes

Postby shatteredhopes » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:21 pm

I too at one point had everything I thought I wanted, but was so depressed. You are not alone.

Unfortunately, mental health is not an exact science and some therapists are better than others (in fact, some are just not very good). Maybe try a different therapist? Also, meds are hit or miss like others have said and work differently for different people, what I am on may not be right for you, but your doctor can work with you. Therapy, meds, and exercise combined might help a good bit.

Also, sometimes after you've reached a plateau and have everything, you have a boredom or life crisis on top of depression...maybe there are some goals you could set for yourself? I dunno...I just know for me I am struggling to come up with new goals to give me motivation and hope and effort to accomplish.

Welcome to the site and wishing you light and peace in your day...

xn728

with hope

Postby xn728 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:49 pm

hello my dear freind ,i would try some differt meds first dont write it off before having a go ,im 51 and feel pretty desolate just now ,i to have all i want ,but im blind to it ,sometimes it could be that you have everything you desire and dont realise it ,but your mind is redundent ,and needs new
challenges,or maybe you do need a different medication ,i would add this
and it is not a critisisam ,you must not drag your family down ,look to them for support ,but sheild them also ,i made the mistake of not telling my wonderful family about my pain ,and i now find myself in a very lonely place ,this forum is a very warm comforting place ,and you now have many new freinds ,welcome home my freind i hope you find what your looking for ,,,,best wishes xn728

forgotten soul

Sadman

Postby forgotten soul » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:12 am

Hey Sadman,
From what you wrote it appears that you are deeply concerned with bringing your family down with this depression and that concern might be causing anxiety that the bottom could fall out which in turn makes you miserable. Therefore, I would say to keep trying with your doctor to find the right meds for your particular illness. As shattered hopes explained it is not an exact science as some meds work well for others but perhaps not for you, none the less there must be something out there that can help you. Also, just the act of actively pursuing your own cure will make your family happy as you said and I believe you as well because their happiness is correlated with your own.

Return to “New Member Introductions”