Hi I'm Mike

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

mikem32

Hi I'm Mike

Postby mikem32 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello my name is Mike and I'm from Indiana. I have been dealing with depression and social anxiety for almost half my life now. I am just simply looking for a social support group to discuss my issues with others and also provide support and care for others who deal with similar problems. I am certainly no stranger to lonliness and despair and need at this point to be actively involved with like minded people. Thank you!

Mr Jingles

Re: Hi I'm Mike

Postby Mr Jingles » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi Mike,
I am 64 and have been dealing with depression and anxiety for 4 or 5 years ... mainly due to health issues and retiring 5 years ago.
I am attending Narcotics Anonymous and a few AA meetings even though I don't use drugs unless my doctors prescribe them.
You could possible look into a 12-step program which has helped me. Like most people, I have my ups and downs.
There is an EA (Emotional Anonymous) 12-step program but I don't have access to one so AA and NA for me.
I may be wrong but I believe they all address the same issues of the 'addictive mind' which sounds like what you described.
I've been doing this for a year now and it has helped me deal with the demons in my head.
You mentioned loneliness ... I feel loneliness almost all the time and have my entire adult life.

I'll be glad to correspond with you.

Smitty

mikem32

Postby mikem32 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Thank you Smitty for replying to my post. I am not an addict or alcoholic (I do smoke cigarettes) but I never thought of attending AA or NA as simply an emotional and stress coping group. That may not be a bad idea. I am sorry to hear that you and so many others have struggled with loneliness for so long. It is important to know that we can reach out to others for support. I would definitely like to stay in touch if you wouldn't mind. Thank you once again for replying. Take care!

littlestarsmum

Postby littlestarsmum » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 am

Welcome to this forum, Mike. Nice to meet you.
I’m sorry to hear about your struggles. I know how difficult it must be for you. This is a great place to share, and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of help and support. Are you seeing a therapist/counselor? Looking forward to hear more from you. Have a blessed stay!

lostinca

Postby lostinca » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 am

Hi Mike. I would be happy to be part of any discussion group with you also. I have depression and I am so tired of being taken advantage of by phony friends. I really have no one to talk to and would be really happy to talk to you. Are there any hobbies that you enjoy talking about? Id like to see what we have in common. I hope you are having a nice evening .
Ruth

mikem32

Postby mikem32 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

First off let me thank all three of you for responding to my post. I'm 32 years old, single and have been for some time with no kids, and I deal with loneliness and alienation on a daily basis. I'm not always depressed but when I am as I know you all can relate it is absolutely miserable. I struggle specifically with self doubt and a lack of purpose. I do certain things to try to keep my spirits up such as taking walks, riding my bike, reading and writing, and listening to music. I have dealt with a rather severe spiritual struggle as well, being I believe in Jesus Christ as the Saviour of humanity and the only true way to God, but have wrestled with assurance of salvation and being eligible for forgiveness. It is true I have lived, at least for the most part, a pretty sin-ridden life. But I feel distant from the community in such a way that I'm extremely timid to even walk into a church or talk to a pastor. Anyway I would like to hear more from all of you, whenever you all feel like having a discussion. Thank you all once again, and I will do my best in trying to help you as well with your struggles and give advice when and where I can. Thanks again!

Mike

Return to “New Member Introductions”