Hello

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Jakers12

Hello

Postby Jakers12 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi there,

I'm Jake. I'm 25, and have had moderate to severe depression for about 10 years. I also have severe anxiety and suffer from chronic migraines (which certainly doesn't help).

I could go into more detail, but I suppose that's what the other boards are for! So for now, just introducing myself and hoping to talk to people who share my experiences and can offer advice, encouragement, or just a shoulder to cry on.

Nice to meet you all.

-Jake

j2415

Re: Hello

Postby j2415 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 am

Hi Jake- Welcome to the group!

Sorry to hear about the things you are going through. I hope this forum can be of help and give you the support you need. Please keep sharing, we are here for you.

SirOats

Postby SirOats » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Welcome aboard Jakers. You've been carrying this burden for a long time, hang in there. At a minimum, forums like this remind us that we are not alone. I love the cliche about how we are snowflakes, which is typically not used in this context. Snowflakes still melt under the same sun, are created at freezing temp, are made of water etc.--a lot in common despite our uniqueness.

Golda Dilema

Postby Golda Dilema » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:50 am

Welcome to the community. An author once said that to overcome depression we need to change our body chemistry. Change the arrangement kf things in our homes. We need to eat and enjoy our food. We need to be happy. What are the activities that make you happy? Do them so long as they won't harm you. Activities like aromatherapy, exercising, doing hobbies, cooking, gardening, listening to good music, watching good and funny films, spending time with your family and friends and the like. You can be happy again.

littlestarsmum

Postby littlestarsmum » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 am

Welcome to this forum, Jakers12. Nice to meet you.
I’m sorry to hear about your struggles. I know how difficult it must be for you. It’s good you decided to connect with us here. This is a great place to share, and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of help and support. Are you seeing a therapist/counselor? Looking forward to hear more from you. Have a blessed stay!

Jakers12

Postby Jakers12 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies. Just seeing your support here has helped me feel a little less lonely.

I'm seeing a therapist now, and his advice has been similar to Golda Dilema's--to find things that make me happy and...just do them. For me, I really enjoy playing video games, but I often feel a slight guilt along with it, as if I should be spending my time on something better. So I'm trying to just enjoy that without worrying so much.

Depression makes it difficult to find the little things that make you happy because it's like you have less of a sense for it...if that makes sense. It's harder to predict what might cheer you up. And it's easy to just do what takes the least amount of energy, like TV and video games, which I enjoy, but doesn't really cure the loneliness.

So I think this forum will definitely help, and I'm glad to have found it. I feel like I kind of rambled a bit, but anyway, thank you all again for your replies and I greatly appreciate the support. :wink:

Return to “New Member Introductions”