Newly married, recurring depression

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Mia

Newly married, recurring depression

Postby Mia » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Hello

I am a new member. I am 28 and live in South Africa. I was diagnosed with Depression and Social Anxiety in 2011. Spoke to a psychiatrist and got the help I needed.

Been a few good years but suddenly I feel like I am falling back into the ‘hole’ and that there is nothing I can do to stop it.

I have been on anti- depressants for the past few years and everything felt ‘normal’ for a while.

The past year have been difficult. Husband and I started trying for a baby. I got pregnant last year but it didn’t work out. Have since started fertility treatments and some of my chronic medication could interfere so Dr told me to stop taking it.
At least I can still take the one Anti- depressant (Nuzak) but I think the other tablet is what gave me purpose or drive.

Just feeling a bit stuck at the moment. Not really one to discuss feelings and emotions, so thought I try an online forum as it takes some of the anxiety away from talking face to face with someone.

I can feel myself going down the rabbit hole and could really use some advice. I am seeing my physiatrist, but only in 6 weeks.

Mia

hmn

Re: Newly married, recurring depression

Postby hmn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello,
Please remember you are not alone. I am from the state of Georgia in the US. I have been battling depression since I was 15, I am now 38. I have been on a medication the whole time. Being newly married is a huge adjustment. I would love to tell you it gets better, but it doesn't. Some days are still a huge struggle for me. I have been a single mother for 11 years now. I have a 10 year old and an 11 year old. Although they light up my day, I still struggle. The only thing that has truly helped is my faith.

Remember, you are beautifully made. No one is perfect. You have purpose, we all do. You are loved very much. Not just by your husband or family, but many people. Everyday you make someone's moments in their own day brighter. Smile as much as you can.

hmn

Suzi

Postby Suzi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 am

Hi Mia, Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having a hard time. I have suffered with PTSD, panic attacks, anxiety and depression because of abuse and a traumatic childhood. I guess when I was younger, I didn't really think about it or analyze my feelings. I just thought it was normal. As I got older, though, it got worse and I knew I had to find help. I know people who are on meds but haven't done the work to recover from the things that are causing the depression and anxiety in the first place.

We live in such a high stress world. It sometimes seems impossible to pull away from that but sometimes you have to for your own mental health and well being. I learned that my worst episodes of depression follow a period of high stress and anxiety. For me, managing stress has been the key. I read the book Adrenaline and Stress by Dr. Archibald Hart. He explained how that all works.

I actually have read dozens of self help books (and plan to keep reading them the rest of my life). Some that have been a big help are:
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel Amen and In Pursuit of Happiness by Frank Minirth. I also enjoy listening to Ravi Zaccharias on You Tube (especially a video called The Meaning of Life). His speaking and writing gives me hope and purpose which helps my mental health.

I want to encourage you that this doesn't have to be a lifelong thing. You can have victory over this. Don't give up.

Rachelm2535

Postby Rachelm2535 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Mia- First I am glad you are on hear talking about what is going on. You are not alone. I had depression for 25 years and though I would never get out of that hole. But there is hope. Do you have supportive friends around you, family or a church? This might be a place to find others locally. I know I had to force myself to get out when things were very bad, when I started helping others and being around other people it seemed to help. I pray you find peace and wholeness. I also pray for you as you try to conceive. -Rachel

littlestarsmum

Postby littlestarsmum » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 am

Welcome aboard, Mia! Nice to meet you.
I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through. I know how difficult and frustrating it must be for you. It’s good you’re getting help. Please don’t get stressed out, but just take deep breaths and relax. I’d suggest that you look for things to do to keep your mind off of your negative feelings. Maybe you could pursue an activity, sport, or hobby that you enjoy and that makes you feel good. Physical exercise has the added benefit of helping to relieve negative emotions naturally. Remember that you deserve to feel better. I just said a prayer for you, and I hope that God will surround you with His comfort and provide the help you need at this time. You can always come here to share, and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of help and support. Take good care of yourself. Hugs!

Suzi

Postby Suzi » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:06 am

Mia, how are you doing?

Mia

Postby Mia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 am

Hi Suzi

Unfortunately not too great. Haven't been on here for ages. Since my last post I have been diagnosed with Endometriosis and had surgery. About 2 weeks ago things got really bad, I wasn't eating or sleeping and I was didn't want to see anyone or do anything. I was hospitalized for a few days. Changed my treatment plan a bit and seems to be working but still long road ahead. Also haven't given up on a baby, still busy with Fertility treatments.

How are you?

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Mia wrote:Hello

I am a new member. I am 28 and live in South Africa. I was diagnosed with Depression and Social Anxiety in 2011. Spoke to a psychiatrist and got the help I needed.

Been a few good years but suddenly I feel like I am falling back into the ‘hole’ and that there is nothing I can do to stop it.

I have been on anti- depressants for the past few years and everything felt ‘normal’ for a while.

The past year have been difficult. Husband and I started trying for a baby. I got pregnant last year but it didn’t work out. Have since started fertility treatments and some of my chronic medication could interfere so Dr told me to stop taking it.
At least I can still take the one Anti- depressant (Nuzak) but I think the other tablet is what gave me purpose or drive.

Just feeling a bit stuck at the moment. Not really one to discuss feelings and emotions, so thought I try an online forum as it takes some of the anxiety away from talking face to face with someone.

I can feel myself going down the rabbit hole and could really use some advice. I am seeing my physiatrist, but only in 6 weeks.

Mia

Tablets dont give you purpose or drive. Its comes from you, not from tablets. Tablets do encourage positive brain activity and help chemicals in the brain though. Tablets do half the work, the other half comes from you making the right choices. Sorry you couldnt get pregnant, i hope you can soon.

Return to “New Member Introductions”