Hi. I'm new here

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

anxiety_reach

Hi. I'm new here

Postby anxiety_reach » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Hello

I'm new to this forum.

I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for almost 8 years.

I began seeing a therapist, who prescribed meds, which I've been taking for 4 years now

Recently, I decided to go off my meds --- tapering off, so to speak. My therapist is working with me. I'll be tapering off gradually.

But, as I do, I know I need to reach out to other people who are going through anxiety and depression. As a way of not feeling so alone all the time

encouragingsoul916

Re: Hi. I'm new here

Postby encouragingsoul916 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:17 am

Hi Anxiety_Reach and welcome!

I'm sure you'll find individuals on this site who can relate and will have some idea how you feel. Reaching out is a great first step and I wish you the best as you tapper off your meds - that can be tricky but it's nice to know you have a professional by your side for that. Your not alone out there and through this site I'm sure you'll find supportive and friendly people who will be happy to chat or just listen if that's what you need :)

anxiety_reach

Re: Hi. I'm new here

Postby anxiety_reach » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, Encouragingsoul.

I've been taking my meds for nearly 5 years. 

I've simply come to the decision that: I don't want to take them forever. I really don't. I already know that they are highly addictive, because I tried to go off them once before, and I had severe withdrawal symptoms. 

That scared me. I don't want to be eternally dependent on meds. 

This time, I've decided to combine my tapering, with seeking alternative ways to combat my anxiety and depression.

One good thing is: I'm in a better place now than I was 5 years ago --- both professionally and personally. I moved to a new country, started a new life, and there is far less stress than I used to have.

The bad news is : I can no longer see my therapist (I only converse with him on phone). I could get a new therapist, but there aren't any good ones here (I checked). As a result, all I've got are my meds. 

I don't have any friends or family to speak of. Mother died when I was 5; haven't seen or spoken to my dad in over 10 years (and don't want to, either). 

I feel that seeking alternative ways is a good option for me now. A new lifestyle, new hobbies, etc. 

And, most of all, finding people here on this forum to talk to --- people who are going through the same thing I am, and who would understand. 

Return to “New Member Introductions”