Hello, everyone

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

KissaCat

Hello, everyone

Postby KissaCat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:47 am

Brief introduction here - I am 47, living with my cat, and nobody else. I have been too afraid in life to do anything, did not learn to drive until 25, just now registered to vote (I had one question when I first tried to register in 1988, they didn't know the answer, and made me feel bad just for asking, so I never went back), and have never been on a date. I have a master's degree, never used it, worked at my family shop once out of college, didn't even know what a resume was until 2000. Now unemployed for 3 years, don't know what to do from here. I get upset when people tell me to "just do it" without telling me how, then treat me poorly for not knowing the "how". I only went to graduation because my dad bribed me to go. I did not even want my degree, when I went to college, I was just so eager to please the family, that I didn't go for what I wanted or was interested in. I have maybe 3 friends in the world, but I don't feel like I can tell this to any of them.

Basically, short of inventing a time machine, I have no idea what to do. I have been afraid of life for as long as I can remember. Changed schools way back when and then quit playing sports because I didn't know people, was beaten by my stepfather from elementary through high school and even framed by him when he stole from my mother. Sorry if I got rambling, just doing stream of thought writing here. There's so much more to add, but these are the "highlights".

Helloraspberries1

Re: Hello, everyone

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi there, welcome to forums. It's nice to meet you :)

I'm glad you are able to share your story with us. Your really brave to give yourself the confidence to trust us and open to us.

You seem to have gone through pretty much alot in your life. One of the things what stood out was how you always been uncomfortable with the idea going for things. Is this because of you voting that time? Did the feeling but getting an answer from anyone scare you?

Having incourangement from other people is great but from what it seems is that they have gone the wrong way about things. You say you haven't had much support from family either. Maybe it's because they didn't know how to support you and that's probably due to lack of communication in a way or not understanding who you are. I'm sorry that's happened to you and what other personal things have gone on but I hope goings get better.

I know you don't know what you want out of life and you never knew what you wanted, it maybe a good idea to talk to someone or seek advice if your still not sure where you wanna be.

Have you thought about going about to college and studying again? Sometimes taking up a course can have it's benefits. You might find its the sort of career you want.

Just remember that it's never too late and you can still have a promising future.

I'm not sure where your from but maybe having a look online is good startng point.

In the mean time please keep reaching out. Were here always :)

Helloraspberries1

Bloomed

Re: Hello, everyone

Postby Bloomed » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:06 pm

Being beaten and betrayed so early in life by the very people who should have been the ones you could trust the most must have been terribly painful. I hope you didn't think you deserved it. Most kids would, but didn't.

I like your screen name. I too love pets. They're so uncomplicated.

Volunteers are needed everywhere and it's a good start to begin all over again. Maybe a pet shelter? Maybe a free food pantry? You can google " volunteers needed" in your area. Maybe you'll look for a job later or maybe not. Maybe you need to go back to school to get the kind of job you want, but maybe not.

There are sites in the internet that show you how to write a resume with examples. Many jobs only require internet applications. But, just getting out and working with other people as volunteer is helpful. Just remember that all volunteers aren't 100% pleasant so don't take a rushed answer personally. And if someone looks cranky, something horrible is probably going on in their life too. You'll get to know them.

It's also a good idea to make an appmt. with a psychologist or social worker. Neither can write prescriptions in the USA, so if they think you need one, you'll have to see an MD or psychiatrist to get the script written. It's easier to visit a group office where they all work together to save time - if you have those practices where you live.

It's cool that you reached out on the internet. Live begins again at age 47.

Big Hugs! Keep us posted about what you decided to do.

Return to “New Member Introductions”