New here

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

East-from-west

New here

Postby East-from-west » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi I'm Kennedy, I'm undiagnosed with depression that has been severe for the last year. I just sometimes need someone to talk to who understands at least a little. Hope to meet some friends here!

SimplyMe

Re: New here

Postby SimplyMe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi Kennedy! I'm new here too.

You say your depression is undiagnosed, and that makes me curious. Bear with me as I'm new to all this. What sort of things do you do to cope? The point I am at is that I know something is off with me, but nothing I read about depression seems to fit so far. And I don't think anyone but my boyfriend would really be able to guess anything is even wrong.

East-from-west

Postby East-from-west » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:52 pm

SimplyMe wrote:Hi Kennedy! I'm new here too.

You say your depression is undiagnosed, and that makes me curious. Bear with me as I'm new to all this. What sort of things do you do to cope? The point I am at is that I know something is off with me, but nothing I read about depression seems to fit so far. And I don't think anyone but my boyfriend would really be able to guess anything is even wrong.

Hey, I haven't found many ways of coping yet. Most of the time I yearn to be around people and if I'm able to find a way to be near friends then it normally helps distract me. But if I'm just at home then I write poetry sometimes and just wait it out, but I've also fallen into self harming at times, not that it helps any. Sometimes I want to reach out to someone but I don't think I can tell my family. I hope you are able to reach an understanding of what's going on for you because sometimes the confusion is the hardest part.

SimplyMe

Postby SimplyMe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:56 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one... I find if I'm distracted enough by day to day happenings then I'm ok. And I understand the thought of not being able to talk to your family. Once I told my mom I felt like my kids would be better off without me and she got really angry with me. That was the last time I tried opening up to her. Is there anyone you are able to open up to, maybe a friend?

East-from-west

Postby East-from-west » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:30 pm

SimplyMe wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one... I find if I'm distracted enough by day to day happenings then I'm ok. And I understand the thought of not being able to talk to your family. Once I told my mom I felt like my kids would be better off without me and she got really angry with me. That was the last time I tried opening up to her. Is there anyone you are able to open up to, maybe a friend?

It's so hard to think about it happening to other people, when other people that I'm close to start talking about having depression I get scared and super worried and maybe that's what happened with your mom. And yes I do have a friend that also struggles with depression that I have been able to confide in in the past but he is so busy all the time that I rarely talk to him about it and when I want to I feel like I'm bothering him.

SimplyMe

Postby SimplyMe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:53 am

I think that makes sense. I never thought about it that way. And I get what you're saying about feeling like you're bothering your friend. My boyfriend has depression, pretty severely, so sometimes I want to talk to him about it (and have in the past) but I feel like I'm just adding to his already full plate if I bring up my issues. Plus I feel like since I'm not as severe, I don't have a right to complain. Hope this forum helps you.
I've read your other post. I was a little stunned. I'm glad I signed up to this... I can really relate with what you're feeling. I've always read/heard that when they screen for depression they check to see if the 'down' feelings last for 2 weeks, so when I'm feeling off for only a day or even less, I kept telling myself it can't be depression, it doesn't fit. You definitely are not crazy. This must be the hardest part of depression... feeling like you must be the only one feeling that way and no one will understand/believe you.

Return to “New Member Introductions”