Help for my boyfriend.

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

CodeJockey

Help for my boyfriend.

Postby CodeJockey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:17 am

I'm joining this forum hopefully with a goal of understanding and helping my boyfriend get the right treatment. He's a great guy and I love him. We've been together for 7 years which is long time in regards to most gay relationships.

He, like most young gay men have problems with crystal meth. He's used it, off and on for 10 years but it's become an addiction. He's wiped us out twice. I've been understanding, and we're on our way to recovery. The problem is twofold: he's depressed and also dealing with this addiction. He's been sober for almost 3 months. He doesn't want to talk about his problem with anyone, he's embarrassed. He's also not working and we have to watch my money. He's been going on a couple of interviews, but when he doesn't get the job, all he does is lay in bed and cry. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do for him.

He has a few friends, but most of his 'prior' friends knew him because of meth. He no longer is in touch with them. He says that once he gets a job that'll solve most of his problems. Because he stays around the house, the urge is constantly there. I told him that he can't use and be with me. His father abused him when he was little and that (I think) is one of the reasons for the depression. You know, I'm not sure what came first - the depression or the drugs?

His work history isn't the best, he'll work somewhere for year or 2, then he'll leave. He got hired on at a major airline but when fuel started going up, they cancelled his training (it wasn't paid) in March. That was most devastating, and he started shooting it (again). We had a blowup when I found out most of the savings was gone and that's where we are today. I don't think he'll go for treatment and I'm a programmer, not a therapist. His doctor has him on Zoloft and Xanax. He was still having some panic attacks so he added another medicine ( I can't remember the name ) he takes at night to help him sleep. Nights are the worst - he can't get to sleep and is a little paranoid. (It doesn't help that the gal in the house next door was arrested for robbing a bank, either.)

Any clues on how to proceed? :?

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi CodeJockey,

Has he considered getting some more professional help with all of this? There isn't any professional people here. Glad you care and are there for him.

We also have a chat room that has many chatters that are very supportive and understanding. Give that a try perhaps?

Warmie 8)

Return to “New Member Introductions”