New here

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

sugarplum

New here

Postby sugarplum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Hello :)

I'm new here.
I mainly suffer with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) , I suspect I have suffered with it for about 5 years, but I was formally diagnosed last year. I've always been a deep-thinker and an introvert, and it seems mental health issues run in the family - who also have similar personality traits.

Anyway. Often my GAD opens the gates for depression when I'm going through something majorly stressful. Often the combination can be pretty terrible for me. Now I'm much more aware and have learnt a bit about myself (still a fair bit to go with this - I'm only 21!), I can recognise when things start to get like that. Basically - my anxiety is usually constant, even when I'm not aware of it, but my depression usually happens only in rough patches.

I live further away from friends and family. My only immediate "support network" consists of my partner. Having been there for my partner and family members through their depression, I understand how hard it is trying to support them, so I very much understand that aside from listening and giving advice, there isn't much they can do. Only I can truly get myself through the patches of depression.

Nevertheless, I would still like a safe place to talk whenever I feel the need, so I hope I am welcome here.

When I feel well, I like to chatter. Even when I don't feel well I can sometimes find it distracting, so expect some chitchat posts from me too :)

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 am

Hi sugarplum,
Of course you are welcome here! :) I'm glad you found us, and that you'll have an outlet here.
Feel free to open up, if you wish. Let us know what's going on with you. There are some caring, insightful people on this site who listen without judging anyone.
I can relate to some of what you feel, as far as depression and anxiety goes. Is there anything in particular that's causing your stress? (may sound like a dumb question). But sometimes, depression can be caused by a chemical balance, so this is why I ask!

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:58 am

Hi Sugarplum. Welcome to the forum. Don't forget to try the chatroom too. Lot of caring people here. Hang in there and hope to see more from you.

sugarplum

Postby sugarplum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:19 am

Thank you both for the welcome.

4EverMe wrote:I can relate to some of what you feel, as far as depression and anxiety goes. Is there anything in particular that's causing your stress? (may sound like a dumb question). But sometimes, depression can be caused by a chemical balance, so this is why I ask!

I would say the main thing that causes it are changes, and any situations where I feel I have little control. As is the case with anxiety, I worry needlessly until I feel hopeless, which is when the depression starts.

Right now my main worries are over my future, personal finances and career prospects. I've had a really had time with a job where I was mistreated and now I have to start all-over again. I might make a more detailed post about it when I'm on a bad day. (Today is a good day it seems! Aside from my situation I can safely say I feel confident about other aspects of my life - my relationships with family and my partner are great, my friends are well and I have some hobbies when I feel up to doing them.)

But since you raised the point about chemicals...I suffered badly with mood-swings as a teen, but though those years I was on different types of pills so I would've been extra hormonal.

I've been on the mini-pill for a few years now and it has the least side-effects but I've never really considered if it might contribute to the depression.

I was put on sertraline last week so if it is a chemical imbalance then hopefully that will help, if it's anything to do with seratonin levels.
Thankfully I have decent doctors that listen to me and know I can keep in touch with.

I have my first 1-to-1 CBT session today. I've had group sessions last year which really helped me, but my circumstances have changed now so I need to relearn things again.

Lady Lullaby

Postby Lady Lullaby » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 am

Hi sugarplum. Thanks for sharing your experience and background. I can relate to a lot of what you've said. I hope the CBT and new medication help you and that you find improvement soon. :)

Return to “New Member Introductions”