Hi everyone

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

ChrisO

Hi everyone

Postby ChrisO » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi, I just found this site and I can see that there is a lot of support between the members, it is exactly what I need. I am a 58 years old woman, married to a great man and we have 2 young daughters,I suffered all my life from anxiety and my family is very supportive, but sometimes one needs to talk to somebody else besides the family or therapyst.
About 14 years ago I began having panic attacks, but my doctor didn't have a clue about what my problem was, I did a lot of research about my symptoms and finaly I convinced my doctor to give me a treatment, (I was only prescribed tranquilizers before) by then anxiety combined with depression, I had a nervous breackdown and it took me almost a year to recover. It didn't help that I was suffering all the side effects of the antidepressants, I had to change 3 or four times, and after my body got used to the medicine I felt much better and was able to go back to work.
A year ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in almost all my joints,fused back, twisted fingers etc., and my doctor told me that I had to stop working, because I could make it worse for myself by straining my joints with a lot of movement, before I used to put up with the pain and kept going for almost 5 years, so I stoped working a year ago and since then everything is going downhill.
When my doctor told me that I couldn't work anymore I asked if I would qualify for a disability pension and he said that I had many things going on, but the only way I would qualify was if I was on a wheel chair. So here I am going crazy at home,preocupied about money, unable to do much, I cannot stand or sit for too long because my back hurts, my fingers are already not responding to my brain's command, it takes me longer than usual to do any simple task, I miss going to work, I am bored, and It became so bad for me that I already reached the end of my patience. I got more depressed than ever, and now I have been diagnosed with mayor depression. I guess the anti-depressant I'm taking is no longer working, my doctor doesn't care to change it so I had to ask him to reffer me to a therapyst. The therapyst seems to be very nice, I can tell that he cares, I am hopeful that he can help and I'll be able to feel better in the future, for now I just take it one day at a time.
Thank you everyone for reading and I'll come back soon.
Chris

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi ChrisO

Welcome to the site, there is a lot of friendly people here who are very supportive. I hope you continue to come here :)

I'm sorry to hear about your job. It's understandable why now you are going through such a downhill because your job must have kept your busy. Perhaps you should see this as a oppurtunity to get other work done, like around the house for example. My neighbour can't work but he finds the time to do so much around the house.. he mows the lawn, shovels, makes and sells things.. im sure there is plenty more. He's on a breathing tube also.. Your still young, (yes im sayiing 58 is young! :)) and still have so much you can fill your life with. Having osteoarthritis is hard but you can manage doing some light stuff such aas baking.. YUM!!.. Going for walks.. easy stuff like that.. You still have so much to look forward in life.

Hope this cheered you up a bit and if you ever need anyone to talk to, give me a shout.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi ChrisO

Welcome, thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear all that you are dealing with. (((((((((ChrisO)))))))))))) <---just a hug for you.

There is a chat room connected to this forum, if you look at the top of this place you will see "Depression Chat Rooms", just click on that.

You are far from being old, there are chatters in the chat room in that age group however. All ages in there and age is never a factor. Just people giving and receiving support. Busy in the evening and it is possible to catch people in at all hours.

Please consider going there, it does help.

Warmie 8)

ChrisO

Postby ChrisO » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi,
Thank you both for cheering me up and your warm welcome, and Warmie thank you for the hug.
I am doing a lot arround the house, but as I said before it takes me too long to do anything. I cannot stand on my feet for more than 10 minutes because my back hurts, and my hands get stiff and painful if I use them for just a few minutes, so everything I do, has to be done in stages, I manage pretty well but I get very frustrated.
My job, although it was stressful,( I worked in home care with seniors) kept me busy, got me out of the house everyday, and made me feel helpful looking after my clients, I loved it.
I have many things going on with my health, but I've seen people with more serious problems than mine, and I don't feel old or sick, I guess I'll be very frustrated until I learn to live or cope with whatever comes my way.
I wish I could join the chat room, I used to chat a lot years ago, but now with my painful hands I cannot type as I used to.Thank you both once again
Chris

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Hey ChrisO

I'm in college right now for the same thing you did :). I'm doing clinicals right now and it's a lot of fun. The elderly are really nice and it brings a smile to my face making others happy. Of course you have some who aren't so nice but you learn to manage it :).

That must be hard on you when you cant do to much now. Are you taking anything for it? Baby steps is the best way to achieve anything in life. I hope all is well for you :).

ChrisO

Postby ChrisO » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Emotional
I'm happy to know that you are doing the course, did you do the community part already? I didn't have to, because I was already working in home care, but I loved doing the clinical and I had lots of fun as well.
Working with the elderly for me was the best, they share all their memories with us, they are very grateful for your help and most of them don't give you any trouble. If you treat your clients with respect,you show them that you care, treat them gently and are very patient, you'll never have any problems. If you ever need any tips or advise about the job, let me know, I have 14 years of experience and I might be able to help.

It is very hard for me to be in this situation, because I was always very active and now when I do something it feels like I move in slow motion.
I am taking anti-depressants and it helps for a while then they stop working and I have to get something else. I know I will eventually get better, but for now I live day by day. Take care.
Chris

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Hey Chris
No i have not done the community part yet but I will be doing that though. The only problem I've been having is that in the facility the nurses there need to go fast and there is this one patient where he can be independent. I was helping to bathe him and I was drying him off but he wanted to do it himself and I know he can but it will just take a little slower.. I let him buut the nurse wanted me to do it instead. I know we have to do the whole fast pace thing but that gives aaway this guy's independency. That's why I would prefer to work in the person's home, you can give them more time and you have time for patience. So you worked in the home care setting?
Take care.
P/S - was your job the cause of your arthritis?

ChrisO

Postby ChrisO » Sat May 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Emotional
You might find the community part less stressful, in the facility setting you work at a faster pace, they don't have enough attendants to provide the proper care to the residents, and not enough time to do a decent job. In the community you get one hour to shower a client, in a facility you are lucky if you can spare 5 minutes.
I worked in the community for 9 years and the last 3 years in a retirement residence providing home care to the residents, but the last 3 years were completly different because I had to work at the facility's pace and couldn't provide my clients with the care they needed.
I don't think my job was the cause of my arthritis, but it helped agravate my symptoms, and my job was the reason why I got so depressed, because I couldn't do it any more.
Take care.
Chris

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Hey Chris
Yes, working at a facility is a real fast pace job. That's why I'm thinking of working in the home care later on, much more slow paced.
PM me sometime hun, I would love to talk with you more.. but i dont think we should continue our small talks on the forums lol.
*hugs*

ChrisO

Postby ChrisO » Mon May 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi Em.
You are right, this is not the place to talk about ocupations,or anything related to our. I'll PM soon and we can continue our talk.
Chris

Fupduck

Fupduck says, Hi Chris!

Postby Fupduck » Tue May 06, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Chris, sure had a good visit with you.Welcome,and remember I am always here to talk to,either on myspace as we have,or in the room where everyone is friendly.Sure glad your here, as you have been good to talk to.Your friend Bob

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:20 pm

Hey chris,
Can't wait to hear from ya :)

AND hugs to FUP!! lol.

ChrisO

Postby ChrisO » Sat May 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks Bob it is my pleasure. Haven't been arround for a while because I'm feeling very low right now, besides my hands are very sore and it hurts to type. Chris.

Feathertail

Postby Feathertail » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:16 am

Welcome ChrisO :) xxxxx

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:19 am

(((((((((((((( ChrisO)))))))))))))))))

Another hug coming your way and wishes for your day to be a good one for you.

Warmie 8)

Return to “New Member Introductions”