My boyfriend and cats

Open discussion about pets: training tips, stories, etc.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

itslynnagain

My boyfriend and cats

Postby itslynnagain » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 pm

We have two siamese cats and one likes to be outside when we are so we put a trap door in so he can come and go. Lately another male siamese cat who hasn't been fixed has been hanging around. It was so skinny and digging in our garbage. I wanted to shoo it away because it was coming in our house through the trap door and I havent had my cats shots this year. They were due the first. Well I noticed it wasn't standing right it was so skinny and it made me feel terrible so I put a can of cat food out. My boyfriend had been putting them out all along and now a feral kitten has showed up and a long haired gray cat. I told my boyfriend that we couldn't afford all these stray cats when we can't pay for the ones we have it just isn't fair and he thinks I am cold and cruel. It makes me feel mean and I don't know what to do about it.

Frame

Postby Frame » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Feral are becoming a bigger problem. If he isn't worried about getting your in door cats sick, then you might try explaining it to him like this.

The great majority of owned cats are fixed which means they can't reproduce. The great majority of feral cats are not fixed (which of course means they can). Feral cats are returning to the wild state. They are not friendly and don't make good pets (or won't in a few generations). By helping them survive (and reproduce) we are evolving our beloved pet species into a mean wild bunch and wiping out our cuddly indoor breads. He may think he's helping out a poor stray, but more and more of those strays are part of a wild population. He might want to put out a bowl for the rats and one squirrels too.

itslynnagain

My boyfriend and cats

Postby itslynnagain » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Great answer Frame. Now why didn't I think of that?

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm inclined to think of stray cats as stray, abandoned or homeless rather than ferrel. In that case I'd be more willing to help them out, but your situation is understandable and I don't blame you for not wanting to take them in.

karolanne

Postby karolanne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:29 am

Hi,

I don't agree. I think we should all take care of ferrels cats because they're exhisting because of someone, somewhere, who didn't take his resonsability in getting his cat spayed and just let the cat go outside and reproduce. And here come all the ferrel cats... We, human, have to take the responsability.

That being said, if money is an issue, the responsability is to take care of our own before the ferrels.

My mother use to feed a ferral female cat for 3-4 years now. Few times a year, she arrives with new babies. They eat for a while and then, she's back alone. And then, back with new babies.. bla bla bla. I told her to catch the cat and get her spayed. She said "she's ferrel, she won't like that and she'll be so stressed". And I told her yes, it will be a hard time for her, but it's for her own good. How many kitties she'll produce until she died? And how many kitties her kitties will produce.... It's unimaginable. My mother is not rich, but she has the money for that spay. If everyone that have money for a spay do it, ferrel cat's situation would be so much better. I think that is the solution. I don't agree with the solution of many cities and countries which is to poison the ferrel cats. Some countries do the same with ferrel dogs...

Here, a lot of people put nuts outside for squirrels! :)

Return to “Pets”