agoraphobia

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

JTSilius

agoraphobia

Postby JTSilius » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 pm

i am a sufferer of agoraphobia, meaning fear of people. I absolutely fear meeting new people, dealing with people, and hanging around with people. I'm not sure where it began, I know when i was younger i didn't mind humans so much, now I loathe them.

i dunno, comments anyone? I'll answer questions.

Nykkytta

Postby Nykkytta » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm

((((( JT )))))

It's hard to funtion when you suffer from agorapobia, because there are people everywhere. Damn them !! lol !

Seriously, I hope you manage getting through your days with as much ease as possible :)

Take care,
Nyk

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:01 pm

Dude, I registered on these forums just to tell you that I've gone through exactly what you are going through. The fear of people. I'll tell you the only thing that can solve it is a ton of social events, basically facing your fear head on. It worked wonders for me and now I am not afraid to go to a sit down restaurant because I would have to talk to a waitress. Get together with some friends, and if you don't have them at this moment (I've been there too) Just invite some work mates to lunch and pay for them or something. The conversations will come themselves. Then just do way more social things.. Soon your fear will go away. Trust me man.. It's the only thing that works against this.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:17 am

(((((((((((((JT))))))))))))))))

Deal with the same thing, my heart goes out to you. It makes it difficult when I know I HAVE to shop or just be out there at times.

Just pleased that you do make it into the chatr oom and we talk. You are a friend and are cared for by many, and count me in on that.

((((((((((((Nyk)))))))))))))))))

LOL you are so right, they are!!!!!!!!!

Neil,

Good thought, for those that it might work with. For some, the fear comes and goes, for some it doesn't. We all deal with many fears, depression, life, just try taking things one day at a time.

Take care all.............

Warmie 8)

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:59 am

what is agoraphobia?

contrary to common beliefs agoraphobia is not fear of going out or of open places, agoraphobia is being anxious about being anxious or getting a panic attack in a place where you cannot get help. that's why agoraphobics avoid public places and may stay at home for prolonged periods . staying at a place where the agoraphobic thinks he have more control easies his feelings much , this comfort zone may not even be his home but sometimes his room and even his bed .

dealing with agoraphobia

agoraphobia can be treated using Systematic desensitization along with cognitive behavior therapy where the first is a method of therapy involving learning how to relax and control your emotions then being gradually exposed to an established hierarchy of fears while the second is a method of therapy that is based on learning how to change your thoughts and perceptions because they are the main drive for the emotions experience.

kdoddie

Postby kdoddie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:54 pm

HI there,

I had a very bad year episode of agoraphobia a year ago.I managed to get Cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt) through a outreach psychologist that would home visit me twice a week.It took a long time but I was able to get a hold of the agoraphobia some what. I still struggle with my issues but no where near as bad as before.Perhaps you may find cbt benificial
Best of luck to you....

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm

((((((((((((((( kdoddie ))))))))))))))

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. We have a chat room connected with this forum as well. Hope you give it a visit. Very caring people about.

Warmie

bellz

Postby bellz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 am

sometimes I can go to a place by myself, like a store, that is ok, I have my own car and can leave if I feel scared. I can also do that with my husband. But I cannot do that with a friend or someone who isn't aware of my condition. I would feel trapped, like afraid of what there reaction might be if I suddenly had to leave.
That definition you posted, I have never seen it worded so well. It's not the fear of being outside. I always thought how strange that I could go out to the market but had agoraphobia. But now I understand its because I wasnt feeling trapped there. If I got scared I could just walk out the door. Makes sense. I much prefer my own home though. And I do not like it when other people come to my home because then if I get upset I cannot leave. I would rather if I have to visit someone go to there home so I can leave if I must. It does make life rather complicated. One of the things I miss most dearly is Church. I cannot go anymore. You must don't get up and leave all the time crying. People always want to hug you and find out whats wrong...its terrible so I don't go anymore. I miss worship. Makes me very very sad. One of the worst things this disease has taken from me.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:55 pm

(((((((((((((((((( bellz )))))))))))))))))

A warm hug for you. I do understand, feel those feelings at times.

Warmie

rober

Postby rober » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:22 pm

the definition obayan gave was absolutely correct!
I've suffered from agoraphobia since I was a child. it first started as a school phobia...I had to quit school and then slowly I started to stop going out.
I was able to go out only for short walks and only with really trusted people.
I call agoraphobia "the big bastard" because it really ruined part of my life!
I gradually helped myself with a behaviour tecnique called "exposure"...this is the only way to get free from agoraphobia...
It was a very gradual process and it tooks years because my agoraphobia was really severe.
so slowly things went better....I even graduated at college :D
I took the airplain all by myself several times, I took a drive licence and so on.... I cannot say I completely win ...When I have to go to a new place alone I still have some avoidance and difficulties... I really hope I'll be completely free one day....
good luck to everyone is struggling with the big ba****d :D

LisaRose

Postby LisaRose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 am

I think I have bouts of agoraphobia too, although my psychologist says she doesn't think this is what it is. All I know is that the very idea of leaving my house (sometimes even just venturing out of my bedroom) really scares me to the point where it stops me from living a normal life at times. I am also very afraid to open my windows or answer the phone or door.

I know the fear isn't totally rational, but there are some more "real" things that I can pinpoint as to where it could have come from. I do greatly fear confrontation, and people shouting insults and laughing at me on the street, or of bumping into someone who wants to do me harm - I have experienced these things in the past before and they caused great anxiety and depression - but it's not like they happen all the time.

Often I think I am just anxious about being anxious outside of my comfort zone, or in front of people like you have all explained here. I also just feel so drained that it feels like an impossible task to put on an act and try to appear normal in front of people some days so I avoid the anxiety attacks and stay at home... feeling guilty and alone and like a huge failure. Argh, it's fun being like this!

I am confused as to why my psych doesn't think I suffer from agoraphobia. Perhaps she just doesn't want to label it, or thinks it is fear of wide open spaces... I don't know! It's not like I want to be labelled but it's annoying when you feel lost like this.

Anyway, I keep getting frustrated because I seem to keep going around and around in cycles. I will start to get better and then end up back at square one. Has anyone over come this? How long did it take and what did you find worked the best for you on the days you were at your worst? I've tried just doing little things like going for a walk to get me out of it, but I feel like it's not enough.

I am worried that this is going to haunt me for the rest of my life, and as a result I'm never going to be able to keep a job. I'm a student now and miss a lot of class due to it, and I ended up leaving my last full time job after my mum passed away unexpectedly because it got worse then, and I just couldn't deal with being away from home and around people. :(

I'd like to hear any tips you may have - especially with internal dialogue to actually get yourself out and "exposed."

Thank you :)

balcony

Postby balcony » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 am

Hi LisaRose, I am sorry to hear you lost your mother. I can understand how that would contribute to everything you are feeling. I have a close friend, ( we met in the 6th grade, we are both close to 50 now) and she often talked about some of the fears you are describing. She struggled with leaving her house and being a part of any social group or activity. She was fine with me alone, but despite me being an incredibily social person, she would not join me.

She found medication helped. After many difficult years, she now works outside of the home and has made many new friends.

I don't know if this helps at all, but, you seemed as if you were looking for suggestions. I hope this place helps you discuss what you are feeling and you feel safe here. Strong hug.

Alicia31

Postby Alicia31 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 am

Hello everybody,

If you need some help, I have a website for you. It's www.tonpsy.com/, you can find more than 15 therapists or psychologists specialized in one area that you need. They can talk about everything you need to talk and especially about agoraphobia and they are reliable. You only need a microphone and a webcam to see a therapist from home. So don't hesitate to go on this website, it's anonymous without leaving your home.

Read more http://www.tonpsy.com/ 

Return to “Phobias”