Not sure if just difficult time or depression

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Luca_isto

Not sure if just difficult time or depression

Postby Luca_isto » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi!

In the past year and a half I have started to struggle with certain life aspects.

Mainly I am a little slow at University, I started late, took a long time to finish undergrad degree, now in postgrad and still not finished and working an unrelated Job I don't particularly enjoy.

I was supposed to write my thesis this semester but didnt not get along with the professor. Now there is a new curriculum and I need to take a couple of courses before doing the thesis with someone else.

However even with a masters degree the chances of a job are currently not great.

I also work 30hrs per week and cannot attend all the courses I want, my employer is extremely unflexible and I had kind of a fall out with the Wife of the HR guy. So yeah. I usually don't get much done.

However my biggest problem is that I cannot sleep properly, I usually wake up at 4am all the time. During the day I am tired, and mostly uninterested in things.

I had a nice roommate but she moved out, which left me a little sad for a while. But she was good at pushing me a little.

My parents are a bit disappointed and dont understand. I get along well with them normally but they live in different countries.

My dad recently got prostate cancer and I miss him.

I only have one good friend but have not disclosed my situation.

I don't know if I am just going through some hardship or if it is depression.

Thanks for listening! :roll:

PigRabbit

Re: Not sure if just difficult time or depression

Postby PigRabbit » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:16 am

You will need to see a licensed professional to help determine if it is clinical depression.

You are dealing with a lot of stress and loss with very little support. Most colleges where I am have student services that include mental health services. See what kind of services your school has, best way might be through the school nurse.

Life can take a toll. You are dealing with a lot and it seems like you are not doing as well as you believe you should be. I think you are doing amazing with all you are dealing with. Maybe you have depression or maybe you are just being overloaded with all these things, either way, it would seem beneficial to speak with a qualified mental health professional.

Luca_isto

Postby Luca_isto » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 am

Thanks for your thoughts, I will go see a doctor then.

j2415

Postby j2415 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi- I’m sorry you are going through a lot. It would be helpful if you will check with a doctor. Depression is treatable with some medications and therapy. I hope you will feel better soon.

I’m sorry about your Dad, how is he now?

I hope this forum will be an encouragement to you and you will get the support you need. Please update us. Thank you for sharing. God bless.

Jstar845

Postby Jstar845 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi, Thanks for reaching out. I commend you on your accomplishments of earning your undergraduate degree and now in pursuit of your Masters degree. I know you have encountered a lot on this journey, but you have done well and made it this far some dont get this far. I want you to keep the same drive you had during your undergraduate degree and think on your goals. Put one goal somewhere you can see it and let this be your motivation for completion.

I am sorry to hear about your beloved dads cancer. Try to develop a schedule write in a planner and work around your work schedule and try to find more time to sleep. It's okay to vent and I understand you dont want to tell you friend everything. But, talk to them about some things as this is healthy and releases tension. Also, try to talk to the college counselor and set up an appointment. Remember your self-care matters. Please try to go out, activities, exercise, journaling and etc. I hope you are better soon. Best!

Return to “Your Story”