my life

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Maka

my life

Postby Maka » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:13 am

hi,
im a 58 year old male from Scotland, things are currently getting me down to a point where im searching the internet for jump sights
Im currently retired and living alone, I have 2 children who I get on well with, but im totally flat and find it hard to sleep well eat well
relate to others and make excuses not 2 go out, I had a good pension but looks like ive lost most off my money due to bad financial advice, likely I,ll have to sell my house as a result. I suppose the final straw has been that my ex partner has met someone new and any hopes off us getting back together are now gone, ive never really come to terms with the split in reality and have just been living in limbo.
Ive finally admitted to myself that I am not well and have made an appointment with the doctors, rare event think ive seen then twice my whole life.
Anyway thats me i never remotely done anything like this before and i would appreciate any support

BenV

Re: my life

Postby BenV » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Maka,

Are you physically able to work? Even if it isn't something related to the career your retired from or anywhere near to what you were making it might help not only your finances but provide something productive to occupy your time. If that isn't an option how about doing some voluntary work?
Having a relationship end is never easy and probably feels worse as we age, (I'm 56, just joined here) because time appears shorter to find someone else. I'm glad you are willing to see a doctor. Should you can your doctor decide on medication, give it time to work but also be honest with yourself and your doctor. Each of us are different and it may take a bit of trial and error to find a medicine that works and works with a minimum of side effects.
Hang in there. You have made it this far so keep going.
If you ever want to talk about Scotland I'd enjoy hearing about it. Has to be quite different than Texas in the USA.

Maka

Postby Maka » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 am

Thanks for the reply Ben, ive been looking into voluntary work, new health regime etc.
Ive got a border collie so ive no excuses for not going long walks with him there is plenty of nice countryside near where I live, poor mut is just getting bare minimum at mo. EX has said she still wants to be best friends but tries not tell me anything about new bf (think she thinks it will hurt me further) but tbh I,d rather she was brutally honest just to let me distance myself quicker from her emotionally.
Still got a week before appointment life is tough but im determined to beat this apathetic existance

BenV

Postby BenV » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:49 pm

It is possible to be friends with exes but it isn't easy and it isn't free of emotional danger. But you seem to have the right outlook approaching it. When relationship had ended for me it helped me to see what I learned and how I can apply it making myself better for when the next relationship came along. That may take time but one day you'll go "darn, know I understand."
Best thing about your post is you saying you are determined to keep going.

Return to “Your Story”