Men are garbage. Do better

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

mjc1988

Men are garbage. Do better

Postby mjc1988 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm

But garbage doesn't get better. Garbage is thrown out. I'm a straight white male, not the most popular type of human being right now. Deservedly so, I know. I'm not going to try to argue for reverse racism, misandry, or anything like that. I'm not that dumb.

However, as someone who a) has depression and b) has done dumb disrespectful things around women, it torments me a lot. All the memes and online discussions posting how men are all terrible, white people are ruining the lives of every other race, etc., it weighs on me. I've felt like a terrible failure who is a burden to others around him and now I find out I'm even more so than I already thought. I've been having suicidal ideation - one less piece of straight white male garbage.

MidwestMax

Re: Men are garbage. Do better

Postby MidwestMax » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:21 am

Straight, white male here too. I know the feeling where it seems that everyone and everything, especially online, is out to paint the white man as the root of all evil. But you have to bear in mind that online tends to bring out the very worst in people. There are exceptions to this rule, such as this forum. But those exceptions are exceptions for a good reason. We're a stronger community because of what binds us together.
Black, white, red, brown, yellow, polka-dot. I don't care who you are. If you're a good person, you're a good person. Anger, criticism, hatred, and envy are not exclusive to one race or even one sex.

A word of advice:
Stop going to the online sites you've been going to. If you can't stop, at least taper back a bit. People are ruthless when they can hide behind the anonymity of the internet. It tends to bring out the worst in people. And of course, the people that don't post are usually the ones with the more moderate views.

You're not worthless. You have just yet to find your niche. Something that you're good at and that makes you proud of yourself. Take some time to list the things that you've seen in yourself that you wish you saw in others. Then try to make that list part of your everyday life. You can make a lot of changes to a lot of people just by being your laid-back self.

Here's a big tip: every day try to perform a random act of kindness. Whether it's giving 5 bucks to a needy person, telling a co-worker they look or smell nice today, or trying to help around the house, something. Anything kind makes you feel good.

Feel free to write back. I'd like to hear about any progress you can make.

kevinloveslena

Re: Men are garbage. Do better

Postby kevinloveslena » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 am

Hello mjc1988, I am so sorry that you are feeling the way you are. I also suffer from severe depression and know how those dark thoughts and feelings can take over during a time of crisis. You did not choose, nor can you change the fact that you are a white man, so does it seem right for anyone to make you feel like “garbage” for being either of those two identities.? I am so sorry that you feel like a failure and a burden on others. I don’t know your specific situation, but I would like to pray for you if you are ok with it?

Return to “Your Story”