My Friend Killed Himself

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

sad boi

My Friend Killed Himself

Postby sad boi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:54 am

I found out today that a friend from my old school killed himself. We used to talk quite a bit, but eventually ended up drifting apart. Looking back, he wasn`t really a good person. But he was a good friend. It`s been over a year since we`ve spoken, and now we`ll never get the chance to.

Even though we stopped talking, I still care that he passed.

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this?

And also,
I just want all of you to know that, if you`re struggling with suicidal thoughts, there are people that care about you. There could even be people you don't remember that will be affected by your passing. If you need help with suicide, please call the Suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

Stay strong, you can do this.

I believe in you.

j2415

Re: My Friend Killed Himself

Postby j2415 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 am

Hi- welcome to the group! I’m so sorry about your friend.

There is no easy way to make the pain go away and healing does not happen overnight. Healing comes after we grieve in our own timetable. Grieving is painful but it is necessary.

I found this article, http://bit.ly/2Cyhwnq, that might help you. Thank you for sharing. I pray for peace as you go through this journey.

littlestarsmum

Postby littlestarsmum » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:58 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, friend. My heart goes out to you. Losing our loved ones is very hard, and the impact of such a loss is deep. From your message, I can tell that you have a caring heart, and I know how difficult it must be for you. I said a prayer for you, and I hope that God will surround you with His comfort and provide the help you need at this time. I’d also suggest that you talk to a grief counselor. Stay strong. Hugs!

ayoung73

Postby ayoung73 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:00 am

My story is similar-a good work friend, a man who loved his wife and kids, who loved being a policeman, a man who always had a smile, whose outlook on life often infuriated me because he was always, I mean always so positive, a person who could have a steaming pile of feces thrown on him and somehow find the silver lining ended up killing himself. I saw him that day, we talked and laughed while waiting to testify in court, I saw him later on during our swing shift, we talked briefly, it was a busy night in D.C. and it wasn’t until the next day I learned he went home and shot himself while sitting at the family dinner table.

I’ll never forget this man, we never hung out after work, but on the road, we spoke quite often and he was an aggravating, but joyful source of relief for me…I use his death as a reminder to dig under the façade and to validate joy…I won’t go into the underpinnings of his motivation, but there are always signs and I missed them. As with any death I think of relief from this world, a corrupted place filled with pain and pleasure, and I take comfort in the fact that their particular brand of pain no longer exists. I use his death as a motivation to live, to find alternative solutions to my own problems and to seek out the Lord in all that I do and say. I hope this helped, I am very sorry to learn of your friends death, I know how hard it is to understand, it’s still mind boggling to me, and I will pray for you and your friend/his family!

Return to “Your Story”