Stressed and feeling down

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Helloraspberries1

Stressed and feeling down

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi, thanks for reading this.

I just need to vent about how I'm feeling. I need someone to listen to me and not judge me for why I feel like this.

I suffer with depression and anxiety. I have done for the past few years. I get depressed when things do go my way or something goes wrong. I get anxious when I'm in a stressful situation or I make an mistake and it's my fault.

Today at work I made a few mistakes. Customers made complaints about me due to pricing and not getting the right price on some items. I felt at that moment of time dreadful and in despair. I felt everything was my fault and I was gonna get sacked.

It was then when the situation was resolved another one appeared. This girl asked where her bag was because I had it due to her dad giving it to me to give to her. I said I left it in the basket waiting for you to come over. She then went downstairs looking for it about ten minutes and came back and said next time don't touch my stuff as I would appreciate that. I didn't know exactly what I did wrong. I left it in a safe place for her and I didn't think it was a problem.

Since then other customers have asked where something is and didn't know what it was so had to get my manager to sort it out.

I just feel like today has been a horrible day for me and felt like I been picked on by everyone.

I always get like this in stressful situations and I can never see how to control it. I get to the point on wanting to leave and never come back. I don't know whether it's due to being stressed all the time or my depression and anxiety.

Just want to feel like I can cope at work and be happy but right now I really can't. This is the only job I've been able to stick to for a very long time. I know retail is stressful and faced paced but I just wanna feel like I can cope with it all and not panic.

Would appreciate some advice on what to do or help in terms of coping and dealing with my symptoms.

Thanks for reading this,

Helloraspberries.

Longislandblues

Re: Stressed and feeling down

Postby Longislandblues » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 am

Good Evening,
Working retail is the hardest job ever. Doesn't matter if your selling make up or lumber you will come across a not so nice customer. Remember, when your shift ends leave the work stress at the end of that time clock. If you don't know where or what a particular item is.... Don't stress it...sooner or later someone else will ask for the same thing and now you know where and what it is.
Take a breather and say to yourself this will be over at the end of my shift. My best to you.

AshH5919

Postby AshH5919 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:19 am

Hey there, I'm sorry you've had to run into nasty costumers ! I suffer with anxiety as well, I work at a tea shop and a good plenty of snobby rude people come through and have made my day just stressful and frustrating. There's always going to be rude people sadly, but to think about all the kind and generous is much better :D All I'm trying to say is your not alone, everyone makes mistakes. Even the "perfect people" . Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet sweaty things :lol: :mrgreen: best wishes to you and a small tip in case you happen to have an anxiety attack, breath in for 8 seconds, then breath out for 8 seconds. You can practice it if you like. Ok have a nice morning/afternoon/evening/ life!!

Helloraspberries1

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Thank you for the advice.

I'm trying to do and see whether it works. I do need to keep positive in these situations and let this effect me.

I don't wanna feel this way all the time when a customer comes up and gets funny. I need to be the better person and brush it off.

As you said, you get this everywhere you go. That's what I need to realise.

Thanks for your advice again :)

LoveIsAnAction3

Postby LoveIsAnAction3 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi, sorry you had a bad day. Have you considered counselling? They can help you explore causes of the depression and anxiety and help you with possible ways to cope with the symptoms.

Even just talking to a supportive friend or family member can help.

I hope the rest of your week goes better.

Stevieee

Postby Stevieee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:27 am

Retail and customer service is stressful. If the prices are wrong and customers are having trouble finding something, they might get angry but they're not angry with you personally, because those things weren't even your fault, but as a front line staff member you get the brunt of the frustration. I worked in a call centre before and basically every call you took was a complaint, something not working or a bill overcharge. And the customers were on hold usually before I would get to them so they were already impatient and irritated.

It's not your dream job but you are doing your best and seem like you are trying hard to please the customers best you can. That's something to be proud of even if things don't always go right.

Return to “Your Story”