The Put A Smile On Your Face Post

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:46 pm

lol I really love that about the rabbits Doogie.

Last night I was sitting outside and heard a coyote howl. I stayed out there for as long as I could hoping it would howl for a little while longer.

If only people had the heart like animals do. The world would be a much better place.

100footpole

Animal Lover Memorium

Postby 100footpole » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 pm

JonsDragonEyes,

Your posts remind me of a dear friend who passed on from bad luck. She had a rare and under-researched disease that took her life. The disease was intermittent and progressive.

She loved animals. She had two ducks in her back yard. One she got from the humane society because it had been abused. She got the other one to keep it company.

She had a skunk that lived for 8 years. The skunk loved her, but "presented" if she left the room. It was someone's pet that had been de-scented. I'm not sure how she convinced it that she wasn't bad.

After she passed, there were 100 people at her funeral. We all had stories of the good she had done for "critters"(Ellie Mae Clampett), starting with her sister who talked about her pet ground hog from the 3rd grade.

She was a clearing house for abused animals. After she passed her husband spent 100s of hours finding new homes for the animals, and then left the state so he could continue.

My wife and I think of this friend often, with a smile. My friend was the definition of "Quixotic" and her presence in our lives has influenced us to perform senseless acts of beauty. Not as ardently as she used to, but often to remind the world that she was here. She would have loved your story about the feeder fish.

Tes2525

Postby Tes2525 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Dear JonsDragonEyes,
First off, I love the topic idea!

I have a small Golden Retriever at home (she's only 40 pounds or so). Whenever I come home, she always greets me in song. Yes she sings, it is quite adorable :) Even if I am having a terrible day, she always manages to put a smile on my face!

Thanks for posting, take care.

100footpole

Dog Songs

Postby 100footpole » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:34 am

My dog is a mix, slightly under 50 pounds. When I come home he sings a song in one key, and when my wife comes home he sings a song in a higher key. For both of us his rear is going in one direction while his tail bounces in the opposite. Sometimes we sing back to him and his back legs start to come off the ground in synch with his tail and he almost falls over.

I 8) always tell him :lol: to calm down and not be such a goofball, and eventually he listens until the next day.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:34 pm

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your friend 100footpole.

ha ha... That is so cool about your dog.

And it's nice to meet you Tes2525. Welcome to the forums and thank you for responding. I love what you wrote and I hope you keep coming back and adding more.

I hope you both keep coming back and adding more.

Love and hugs

100footpole

Control

Postby 100footpole » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:07 am

Jons Dragon Eyes,

My friend's funeral was one of the happiest events in my life. I've been to funerals where the purpose seems to give the participants a feeling of closure. My friend's funeral was more New Orleans style. We laughed, told stories, and talked about how much we were going to miss her. The event was more like a graduation. We knew something was over, but she was still with us.

I think she was like a magic mirror. Conversations with her always provided a different perspective than you would expect. The world looked differently - she acknowledged nature was brutal, but she concentrated on creating situations and things that were peaceful and balanced.

Writing about here makes me feel better, because of the way she handled her challenges. I am not a religious person per se. But my friend showed me what faith can provide: Energy to Change, Patience to Accept, and Wisdom to Decide.

100footpole

Love And Hugs

Postby 100footpole » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 am

One of my characteristics is never saying goodbye ... just saying my bit and going. I should look at facebook messages to see if this is a trait that can be documented in people.

Anyway, Cheers and Best Wishes to you. Love and Hugs too.

100footpole.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi again 100footpole.

I hate the word goodbye. It's so sad. I've always disliked that word. I tell people to say anything else ... but don't ever say goodbye.

I have another " happy smile " post to add.

My cat Booger. He is extremely rare. He's handicapped and is about four years old and is the size of a very small 6 month old kitten. He will never be able to grow any larger. When he was born he was deformed. His back and spine are curved downward and he has no tail at all... None. The bones in his two back legs are formed crooked so that when he walks he kinda looks like a little " walrus , frog and rabbit " combined.

He can't control his bowels at all so when he has to go to the bathroom he pretty much GOES whenever so he has to wear a diaper lol.

He's mastered the art of wiggling out of them so I have to put a newborn onesie that human babies wear on him to hold his diaper in place. ha ha

It's funny when I'm buying baby clothes and people ask me boy or girl ?? And I answer it's for a cat. ha ha.... Oh Boy , the looks I get.

When he was born everyone told me that he would never stand a chance at life I was even advised to have him put to sleep but I just couldn't ever bring myself to do it.

Now Booger has beaten the odds and lives a really happy life. He is totally amazing.

I love him so much I can't ever imagine my world without him.

100footpole

Far from the Tree

Postby 100footpole » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 am

Jons Dragon Eyes,

There is a book called "Far From The Tree" about people with disabilities.

In the book there are parents who made the same decision that you made with booger. They say how much their children have contributed to their lives. The book also (more briefly) covers people who made "conventional" decisions.

The book celebrates diversity, and to me it is amazing how anyone could read it and not see that life is not a zero-sum game. It does not harm us to support people who are different. It is the act of supporting that makes us all winners.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:19 pm

You can call me Star. :)

Thanks for telling me about that book. I will definitely check it out. People/animals we are all the same. And deserve so many rights in this life.

100footpole

Hey Star!

Postby 100footpole » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:14 pm

:D

Your smile thread really made me feel great!

Keep 'em coming.

100footpole

Singing in the rain ...

Postby 100footpole » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:23 pm

I re-read my post and I notice I said "made" instead of "makes".

When my depression became toxic a couple of weeks ago I was feeling really helpless, and decided to fight it. Part of that was joining this site. I posted today for a guy who is also fighting negativity. I'm not sure if irony is a great way to fight negativity or not. But right now I'm kicking myself in the butt because the smile thread does make me feel good while I'm reading it ... then I go back to that negative point of view. If there is a reason to start feeling bad after I stop reading the smile thread (and there really isn't) then I'll try to fix that reason. But I'm working hard not to feel bad out of habit. :)

This is a smile post for me. :D

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:27 am

Hi there again 100footpole.

It really makes me feel good inside to know this post helps you.

I really love this whole site. The one thing that I like the most about it is people here really understand you. They TRY to understand you. When the whole rest of the world just doesn't get it , or doesn't even try to get it. This place and the people here do.

I'm really glad I found this place. And I'm glad you did too.

love and hugs

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:10 am

I haven't added to this for a bit so I definitely need to.

We are having a family dinner this weekend and my parents bought one of those fancy cakes in the bakery. A very beautiful cake with all the "fixing's."

On the way home they picked up my nephew to take him to a friends house and he sat in the back. He was extremely careful not to bump or knock over the cake that was also in the back seat.

And in the busy period from getting him to his friends and trying not to spill over the cake my mother forgot to tell him there was also donuts in another smaller separate package.

My nephew accidently sat on them ...........smashed them flatter than a pancake.

:shock: ..... :P ha ha

I know he probably felt bad when he realized what happened ... but oh man, I can't help it. Soooo darn funny.

Doogie

Postby Doogie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 am

That's a good one.

:lol:

Return to “Your Story”