The Put A Smile On Your Face Post

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

emily67

Postby emily67 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:14 am

i've been reading a new book by cathy glass.

for those who don't know who cathy glass is, she's a foster mother who writes about the children she looks after

sometimes her stories can be so triggering, but some of them also make me smile. not because of how the children are treated ( it's terrible), but because it's good to know that cathy is loving them and doing all she can for them

i never had a loving family, so for me it's sort of nice to read about someone who devotes their time to love and understanding

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't think I'll ever be a really kind person.

At Christmas time I was in line at the convenience store ... they had two checkouts open. Some guy came up and was looking at the candy bars, and when a checkout came open I called him on it. Then, when the other checker opened up I told the person behind me to go ahead, because I was going to pretend that rudeness didn't exist (trying to embaras the guy, and the checker, and really being rude in my own way ...)

So anyway I prepaid for my gas, and went out and filled up my tank and had 80cents left on the pump. I told the lady that was waiting behind me that I didn't want to wait and asked her to use up the last of my gas. She seemed really happy that she got a little extra gas, and didn't have to wait for me to get my change.

It is easier to look for ways to be nice, rather than to stop people from being mean. I won't be a kind person until I can learn to turn the other cheek ... which is why I don't think I'll ever be able to do a post as nice as the ones other people write. I want to Thank everyone who has ever posted on this thread, because it is my favorite.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:20 am

My 72 year old mother whooping and yelling at the Super Bowl the other night and calling some of the players " buttheads" makes me smile. ha ha :lol:

emily67

Postby emily67 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:27 am

i took the plunge.

i emailed cathy glass via her website asking if we could keep in contact, and if i could be informed of new books and stuff that she releases.

i also told her that she has done things to me that other people could never do, and that's open my eyes to the fact their are nice people in the world. i told her it would probably feel strange being loved by a family, as mine never did.

we'll see

me and cathy could have an ongoing friendship

rainybird

Postby rainybird » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:24 pm

JonsDragonEyes,

I love the idea you've come up with. I think a smile, even if only for a moment, is exactly what people need.

I've never been very close with my step-dad, as I felt like I hated him for trying to replace my father. He's really a nice guy and I don't necessarily consider him a dad like I had before my real one passed away, but I'm starting to realize that he cares about my mom and I, and that's what really matters. My step-dad and I are in Jasper right now on a ski trip and I'm having a ton of fun getting to know him and vice versa. I'm having the time of my life and I hope that this will help me to see my step-dad in a different way than before.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi there Rainybird. It's so nice to meet you and thank you for your comment. I'm so happy to hear that your starting to open up to your step dad. I know he can never ever take the place of your dad but I'm sure he has so much love in his heart to give you. My fingers are certainly crossed for you both.

Big love and hugs always

frigus00

Postby frigus00 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:54 am

sorry if i misspell or mistype but im not very good at writing on English so a pretty much writ in translate.

something that makes me happy every time I think about it is when i was feeling really bad. that day, I could not fake a smile like I usually do so i told my best friend how i felt and that night she had gathered all of my closest friends at her house, and her parents was away so we talked, danced and sang all night and i felt so happy. that she toke time to do that for me juste because i had a bad day makes me smile every time a think about it :) :)

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 pm

It's nice to meet you frigus00. Thank you for your comment. I really love how your friend helped you so much. That dancing sounds awesome !! It sounds like the perfect thing to make someone smile. She sounds like a wonderful friend to have in your life.

And I think your English is very good. I have a lot of respect for you for learning another language. I've always wanted to but never did. I'm really impressed with yours. :wink:

love and hugs always

Nebulochin

Postby Nebulochin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Playing my violin puts a smile on my face. Of course I'm not very good as I'm just learning how to play. It was something I really wanted to do as a child and only recently been able to start.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi again Nebulochin. Wow , I'm jealous that is awesome. I always wondered if it was hard to learn how to play one of those. Maybe someday you can be a professional at it. Who knows. Anything can happen as long as you believe !!

love and hugs

oh and p.s. don't forget me when you get famous at it. ha ha :D

Nebulochin

Postby Nebulochin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:47 pm

lol thank you JonsDragoneyes. I play only as a hobby. The thing I always have trouble with is tuning it because I have a ridiculous fear of the strings snapping and hitting me in the face.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 pm

I hope someday you beat that fear and show those strings who is the boss !!

Dream as big as you can and the world can be yours. Who knows maybe someday you really can be a professional at it. I believe in you.

Nebulochin

Postby Nebulochin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:25 pm

JonsDragonEyes.I recieved my violin lessons Iordered from amazon in the mail today! :)

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Awesome !!! 8)

And you can call me Star. Like a star in the night time sky.

Nebulochin

Postby Nebulochin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Alright Star it is. :)

Return to “Your Story”