Mental Health Advocacy

News and discussion.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Mental Health Advocacy

Postby CitM » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

I want to talk briefly about mental health care in the United States. I want to talk to you about the latest funding policies.

If you aren't mad about the 208, 000,000 for mental health care, you should be. What a slap in the face this is to everyone who suffers from mental illness.

We have a mental health crisis in the US and I would say around the world. We live in stressful times, no thanks to the news media who carp on the most traumatic of stories and tries to increase the fear of the public ten fold what it should be.

If you add in other issues, like Alzheimers and Dementias along with the fact we have an aging population, with a shortage of nurses, and other needed medical staff, suddenly you're getting the bigger picture. 1 in 2 adults in the US will suffer from some form of dementia. 1 in 4 suffer from some form of anxiety, depression or mood disorder in their lifetime. This is UP from 1 in 7 just 30 years ago.

I think that is worth more than throwing 208,000,000 million dollars at. What do you think? It takes a billion dollars to create a new drug through research that is effective and safe. How is that 208 million looking to you now?

Get mad. Write your disappointment to your congressman and senator.
Thank you.

Return to “Mental Health News”