stress

News and discussion.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Obayan

stress

Postby Obayan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Stress is a normal psychological and physical reaction to the ever increasing demands of life. Surveys show that most Americans experience challenges with stress at some point during the year. In looking at the causes of stress, remember that your brain comes hard-wired with an alarm system for your protection. When your brain perceives a threat, it signals your body to release a burst of hormones to fuel your capacity for a response. This has been labeled the "fight-or-flight" response. Once the threat is gone, your body is meant to return to a normal relaxed state. Unfortunately, the nonstop stress of modern life means that your alarm system rarely shuts off.

That's why stress management is so important. Stress management gives you a range of tools to reset your alarm system. Without stress management, all too often your body is always on high alert. Over time, high levels of stress lead to serious health problems. Don't wait until stress has a negative impact on your health, relationships or quality of life. Start practicing a range of stress management techniques today.

The first step in successful stress relief is deciding to make a change in how you manage stress. The next step is identifying your stress triggers. Some causes of stress are obvious — job pressures, relationship problems or financial difficulties. But daily hassles and demands, such as commuting, arranging day care or being overcommitted at work, can also contribute to your stress level. Positive events also can be stressful. If you got married, started a new job and bought a new house in the same year, you could have a high stress level. While negative events in general are more stressful, be sure to also assess positive changes in your life.

Once you've identified your stress triggers, you can start thinking about strategies for dealing with them. Sometimes the solution may be as easy as turning off the TV when the evening news is too distressing. Or, when you can't avoid a stressful situation, try brainstorming ways to reduce the irritation factor. And don't feel like you have to figure it out all on your own. Seek help and support from family and friends. You may want to ask them what stress-relief techniques have worked well for them. And many people benefit from daily practice of stress reduction techniques, such as mindfulness, tai chi, yoga, meditation or being in nature.

Stress won't disappear from your life. And stress management isn't an overnight cure. But with practice, you can learn to manage your stress level and increase your ability to cope with life's challenges.

Relaxation techniques are an essential part of stress management. If you're an overachiever, you may put relaxation low on your priority list. Don't shortchange yourself. There are active ways of achieving relaxation. Relaxation is invaluable for maintaining your health and well-being, and repairing the toll that stress takes on your mind and body.

Almost everyone can benefit from learning relaxation techniques. Relaxation techniques help to slow your breathing and to focus your attention on the here and now. The concept of enjoying the moment we are living in, rather than being worried about what could happen in the future. Common relaxation techniques include meditation, mindfulness, tai chi and yoga. For a more active approach, walking outdoors or participating in a sporting sports activity can be relaxing.

It doesn't matter which relaxation technique you choose. What matters is that you select a technique that works for you and that you practice achieving relaxation regularly.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:42 pm

meditation
exercise
massage
yoga
tai chi
biofeedback training

these are all good examples of ways to reduce the stress on the body and mind. :)

SMcGregor

Postby SMcGregor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:28 am

Stress effectively compels us to learn more about ourselves and the world around us. Our difficulty is in the way we deal with it. There are four phases of stress – we can influence the last three, but not the first:

Experiencing the event.
A decision as to how you will respond.
The body’s reaction.
A memory is formed of the stress-response.

Cheers,

LuisSteven

Postby LuisSteven » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:17 am

Be honest about your emotions. Do not deny them or repress them as this will only add to the stress. Do not be afraid to cry as this can relieve anxiety and let out bottled-up emotions which can help you cope.If you experience chronic stress—if you find yourself frequently breaking down in tears, rapidly gaining or losing weight, or experiencing a diminished sex drive—see a doctor about your symptoms.

TaraBradley

Postby TaraBradley » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:11 am

Any type of stress is your mind state. Change your mind state and see the results. It means et away from that state which gave you stress. In stress, I just start dancing in my open area of my home and I feel really relax after that much stress. I know, while stress our mind not works and specially for this but if that happens then really stress is far away from you.

habanavee

Re: stress

Postby habanavee » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Ah, this making sense.

I’ve known about this technique for as long as I've known about this https://www.getjupiter.com/meditations-stress-relief/ But I now know that the reason it didn’t work for me is that I was always trying to force it.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:13 pm

Obayan wrote:Stress is a normal psychological and physical reaction to the ever increasing demands of life. Surveys show that most Americans experience challenges with stress at some point during the year. In looking at the causes of stress, remember that your brain comes hard-wired with an alarm system for your protection. When your brain perceives a threat, it signals your body to release a burst of hormones to fuel your capacity for a response. This has been labeled the "fight-or-flight" response. Once the threat is gone, your body is meant to return to a normal relaxed state. Unfortunately, the nonstop stress of modern life means that your alarm system rarely shuts off.

That's why stress management is so important. Stress management gives you a range of tools to reset your alarm system. Without stress management, all too often your body is always on high alert. Over time, high levels of stress lead to serious health problems. Don't wait until stress has a negative impact on your health, relationships or quality of life. Start practicing a range of stress management techniques today.

The first step in successful stress relief is deciding to make a change in how you manage stress. The next step is identifying your stress triggers. Some causes of stress are obvious — job pressures, relationship problems or financial difficulties. But daily hassles and demands, such as commuting, arranging day care or being overcommitted at work, can also contribute to your stress level. Positive events also can be stressful. If you got married, started a new job and bought a new house in the same year, you could have a high stress level. While negative events in general are more stressful, be sure to also assess positive changes in your life.

Once you've identified your stress triggers, you can start thinking about strategies for dealing with them. Sometimes the solution may be as easy as turning off the TV when the evening news is too distressing. Or, when you can't avoid a stressful situation, try brainstorming ways to reduce the irritation factor. And don't feel like you have to figure it out all on your own. Seek help and support from family and friends. You may want to ask them what stress-relief techniques have worked well for them. And many people benefit from daily practice of stress reduction techniques, such as mindfulness, tai chi, yoga, meditation or being in nature.

Stress won't disappear from your life. And stress management isn't an overnight cure. But with practice, you can learn to manage your stress level and increase your ability to cope with life's challenges.

Relaxation techniques are an essential part of stress management. If you're an overachiever, you may put relaxation low on your priority list. Don't shortchange yourself. There are active ways of achieving relaxation. Relaxation is invaluable for maintaining your health and well-being, and repairing the toll that stress takes on your mind and body.

Almost everyone can benefit from learning relaxation techniques. Relaxation techniques help to slow your breathing and to focus your attention on the here and now. The concept of enjoying the moment we are living in, rather than being worried about what could happen in the future. Common relaxation techniques include meditation, mindfulness, tai chi and yoga. For a more active approach, walking outdoors or participating in a sporting sports activity can be relaxing.

It doesn't matter which relaxation technique you choose. What matters is that you select a technique that works for you and that you practice achieving relaxation regularly.

I agree with you. I also think that exercising the mind can also relive stress. Think about it, when stress occurs people get headaches which has a strain of its own.

elenapatrick

Postby elenapatrick » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:05 am

I believe your blog to be very helpful to others. However, the best method to enhance your nutrition, exercise, and health is to relax. It all comes down to what we do next in our minds. I simply adore cricket, therefore I regularly play with my friends at a field close to my house. While beginning off with all of this may not be ideal, over time you will notice a difference in your health.

Return to “Mental Health News”