Self Medicated Dysthymia

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Dame Renaissance

Self Medicated Dysthymia

Postby Dame Renaissance » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:40 am

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which alternative medication is best at taking the edge off of dysthymia. I've tried St. John's Wort and although it has had some good write ups, it had no affect on me. I've heard some good things about 5-HTP in treating dysthymia, but i would really appriciate some of your opinions before i give it a try.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:03 pm

(((((((((((( Dame Renaissance ))))))))))))))

Wish I could help, sorry I can't. Talk with a doctor, google it?? Not sure. So, I thought I would just send you a hug, hope it helps.

Warmie

Atrophy

Postby Atrophy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:55 am

hey, my mum is really into alternative medications for me- in my opinion the 5-HTP was better than st. John's wort- which I also found had no effect. However I do not know how effective it was tbh. I have severe and probably psychotic depression, and i took it as I was coming out a really bad bit. So I don't know if I was improving naturally or if that helped. I did not have any negative or side effects of any kind from it though, - unlike anything the doctor gives me which is side effects galore...

Sorry I can't be more help!

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:05 am

(((((((((((( Atrophy )))))))))))))))

Always a help to be honest with what has helped you. Thanks for taking the time to post. Wish I could help with it but haven't used these products.

Warmie

Jeanne

Postby Jeanne » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:21 am

Hi! I've used 5-HTP in the past. It did help me without the usual side effcts that I got from the other rx's. Read on one internet site that there may be an increase with heart problems with it. We have a lot of those in our family so I quit. I was never able to find other research to back up the original claim though. Hope it works for you. Peace.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:56 pm

((((((((((( Jeanne ))))))))))))

Interesting, and ty for sharing.

Warmie

heavyheart38

Postby heavyheart38 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:14 pm

What is 5 HTP and is it readily available over the counter?

CrazyLady17

Postby CrazyLady17 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:38 am

I think it is yes.
I don't know... Look it up on goggle? Or ask your doctor.

Frame

Postby Frame » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:56 am

5 HTP is an intermediate between tryptophan and serotonin (and melatonin). Tryptophan is that ingredient in turkey. Eat turkey get sleepy.

It is readily available as a supplement. If you want to improve mood you may want to try it. If all you want is to sleep better, you may want to try the easily available melatonin. I've used both.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”