Asthma and Depression

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

dandelion

Asthma and Depression

Postby dandelion » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am

Asthma and Depression

People with asthma have twice the risk of developing mood and anxiety disorders.
By Debra Fulghum Bruce, PhD

Most people with asthma have symptoms such as cough and wheezing. But did you know that people with asthma have twice the risk of developing mood and anxiety disorders, including depression?

Depression, with its feelings of sadness and helplessness, is the most commonly diagnosed mental health disorder. In the U.S., depression is widespread among men (12.7%) and women (21.3%).

Many people with chronic illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes suffer with depression. Yet with poorly managed asthma, the inability to breathe is stressful. This emotional stress can add to depressive feelings and can worsen asthma symptoms.

Understanding the Link Between Asthma and Depression
University of Wisconsin brain imaging and behavior researcher Melissa A. Rosenkranz, PhD, explains that the exact causes of depression in asthma are unknown, but inflammation may hold answers.

Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease. Rosenkranz tells WebMD that when the presence of inflammation in the body is communicated to the brain, neural (brain) changes take place.

The neural changes can modify behaviors that resemble those seen in depression, says Rosenkranz. Symptoms may include depressed mood, lethargy, decreased appetite, and decreased interest in social interaction.

Rosenkranz’s study, published in the journal Neuroimage, analyzes clues that may link depression and asthma. Her findings show that as depressive symptoms improve, so does the asthma. In fact, a reduction in depressive symptoms is linked to a decreased use of asthma medications.

Poorly managed asthma keeps people from being active. When inactivity combines with difficulty breathing, it triggers a downward spiral that includes:

• Social isolation

• Increased feelings of depression

• Poor asthma management

• Worsening of asthma symptoms

Depression with asthma is also a side effect of steroid use. This includes anti-inflammatory inhalers and oral steroids commonly used to treat asthma.

Findings show that other nonsteroid asthma drugs may cause irritability, depression, and even suicidal ideation or completion.

Treating Asthma and Boosting Mood
If you or a loved one has asthma, there are nine proactive steps you can take to optimize breathing and protect your mental health:

1. See your asthma doctor regularly. Your doctor will perform breathing tests to see if your asthma has worsened or if you need further treatment.

2. If your asthma is poorly controlled, talk to your doctor about changing medications and/or dosages.

3. Asthma symptoms can correspond with emotional upset. Talk to your doctor about depressive symptoms or other mood disorders.

4. Be sure to use your asthma inhalers correctly. Medications should spray into the lungs and not hit the roof of your mouth.

5. Ask about the side effects of asthma medications. Steroids can cause mood swings for some people. Your doctor can help you cope with emotional side effects.

6. Take antidepressants according to your doctor’s instructions. Talk to your doctor if the drug is not working. Your doctor may prescribe another antidepressant to find the one that works best.

7. Schedule more time for physical activity. Exercise is beneficial to the body. Also, the chemicals produced during exercise may help boost your mood.

8. Make plans to increase your social network. Being with supportive friends may boost your mood. A strong social network can also increase your compliance to taking asthma medications.

9. Talk to a counselor to learn positive coping strategies. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can help you learn to replace negative thoughts with positive statements.

Copyright ©2009, WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved

Blair123

Postby Blair123 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Why do so many depressed people feel unloved or unworthy of love? Why do so many hold on to past abuse or seem to feel as though they were abused even if to others it doesn’t seem so bad? There are many people who have suffered abuse who do not suffer from depression. Why not?

Why do so many depressed people suffer from brain fog, confusion, fear, and anxiety? Why are so many lethargic, fatigued, and suffer addictions, headaches, migraines? Why do they seem so wrapped up in their own pain, unable to connect or care about others? Why are so many depressed people super sensitive?

IT IS SIMPLE

THEY HAVE FOOD ALLERGIES OR FOOD INTOLERENCE!

You will find hints about this. A few little known research here and there. However, YOU have to piece it together and it might take years.

A lot has been written about how chromium picolinate helps those with atypical depression. But, what if your intestines can’t absorb the chromium picolinate? What if your intestines can’t absorb magnesium? Or calcium, iron, selenium, zinc and copper? All these minerals have found to be deficient in those suffering from depression.

How does your brain get the nutrients it needs to function correctly? Through your gut! Have you ever heard of the brain gut connection? The knowledge is out there.

Your intestines are damaged, pure and simple. You may not suffer other side effects of a damaged gut or the typical allergy symptoms. Or maybe you did and the symptoms went away. Or maybe you did suffer them as an infant or child but no one noticed or picked up on it. Your digestive system is incredible when it is working correctly, but throw it out of balance and it can wreck havoc on your health. And that, my dear friends, includes your MENTAL HEALTH

Your stories break my heart and have for years as I’ve read blog after blog, trying to find help for my own child who not only suffered from depression. but also seizures and Type 11 Diabetes.

Did you know you might crave the exact foods you are allergic to? You don’t have to believe me. Do your own research.

Also read about Edgar Cayce and his attempts to heal the gut brain with castor oil paks, or “The Oil That heals” by W. A. McCarey.

What do depression; schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s, adhd, lupus, epilepsy, migraines, ms, autism, asthma and a host of other illnesses have in common? Is it a compromised gut? I believe so, and I am not alone.

So what to do? First, google the “Dogtor J” website and read all about the big four GLUES in our foods, which are WHEAT, SOY, CORN AND COW’S MILK. Read about the devastation sugar and sugar substitute wrecks on a compromised system and throw it all out. Get rid of it today. That includes ALL PROCESSED FOOD. 60% of it contains soy proteins, etc.

Only bring whole foods into your home. Websites are full of recipes and advice for whole foods and how to use lacto-fermented foods to help heal the gut, and stevia and agave nectar for sweeteners. Only use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and only drink osmosis filtered water or distilled water for one year.

It is not easy. But, is life easy now? Do not get discouraged. Do not listen to naysayers or the TV ads, which are paid for by purveyors of “ADDICTIVE SUDO FOODS.

Do it for yourself. If not for yourself, then for your child or someone else who may be suffering the same condition or others. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THIS WORLD. YOU ARE NEEDED. It DOES work and it will open up a whole new life for you. You will begin to see improvements. Some will experience dramatic relief of symptoms; others will see a gradual improvement. DO NOT GIVE UP. Mistakes will be made. It’s okay, just learn and try again.

I’m not interested in your stories. I know them forwards and backwards. I will be more than happy to answer any questions any of you have on this forum; however, I don’t have the time or energy to debate this with naysayers!

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”