Oxycodone and sugar craving

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Aurelia5

Oxycodone and sugar craving

Postby Aurelia5 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:46 pm

I have noticed that depressants, such as narcotic pain killers, Xanax, and other drugs make me crave sugar. Does anyone out there have this problem? If so, does anybody know how to get around it? I take 60 -90mg a day of oxycodone and sometimes just put a teaspoon or 6 of regular sugar in my mouth. This craving is HORRIBLE, say nothing of fattening.

Help?

Monty

Postby Monty » Mon May 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Hope your day is going well Aurelia.

Had a really busy weekend, missed not checking how things were going in the forum. Nice to be back.

I was very thin, for most of my life. When I was pregnant with my children, the doctors were afraid that I wasn't putting on enough weight.

After I started on anti-depressants, I gained over 100 pounds. Have been able to manage it some better now. Dropped quite a bit of the weight, but still have a way to go.

Weight gain is a side-effect of a lot of the psych meds. In my case, I can't get enough sugar. I have ill friends, who would probably be able to cope better with their depression, but won't go on them because of the possble weight gain.

The side-effect of the meds, might be one reason why you are craving the sugar. Sounds like it is a common is something that we just have to cope with.

I for one, would put up with the weight gain. For me there was no alternative (mind you I am on quite a few psych meds to keep me, on the straight and narrow).

Aurelia5

Postby Aurelia5 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Holy cow! - a hundred pounds! I've gained 40, but just since I've turned 52. I think most of it is nature slowing down my metabolism, because I've been on Cymbalta for quite a while. So it's matter of nature and nurture - a slower metabolism and painkillers. Thanks for your reply.

Hope you're doing ok. I had a bad week - my husband was having a hard time with his pain and in turn I just fall apart seeing him shaking with the acute pains that he gets all over his body. They last for almost a minute, a minute of agony for him, and I feel so sad for him and love him so deeply that I start crying because there is nothing I can do. I try to stay positive, but constant pounding pain, like his, just wears me down. I also have a great deal of my own pain to handle, and that wears me down even further. I am simply too tired to write any more.

Monty

Postby Monty » Wed May 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Yeah, I really ballooned. I am not sure if people thought that I was pregnant because the weight went on so quickly.

I still have quite a large belly but have lost quite a bit of the weight in my face. It is funny to look at my driver's licence picture from a few years ago. You wouldn't know that it was the same person.

I am truly sorry that you and your husband have to endure so much pain. It's true, isn't it, that often it is more difficult to watch the pain that a loved one has, than to endure the pain yourself.
Hope that the pain eases off for both of you.

Post when you're able. Can understand that sometimes things must seem overwhelming. That it is probably almost too much of an effort to breath.

Hang in there.

Aurelia5

Postby Aurelia5 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 pm

Monty -

You truly are a light in the dark of night. You sound strong. You sound like you are now in control. You make me feel that if I have something unusually complex or difficult to deal with, you're the one I can rely on. This is not to say I'm going to bombard you with this weeks' deluge of pain. But I know you're always there, in the background, if you're not up for writing right then.

You can lean on me. I can hold up other people easily. I just can't practice what I preach.

Thank you. Just for being here.

A.

Monty

Postby Monty » Thu May 14, 2009 6:22 pm

I usually try to leave at least a part of my day, that I can sit down quietly at the computer and just let myself go.
Turn that editor off in my head, and let it all out. Missed not being able to do that much today. Too many things on my plate.Getting overwhelming.

I have said before that I am a rapid-cycler, and a couple of weeks ago I had to deal with a depression, much deeper than anything I have suffered for a few years.
I was able to somehow sort things out and carry on with things. I know that a lot of the credit should go to the members of this forum.
You have been there for me and I really appreciate it.

I have had a lot of trouble over the years, either asking for help or if it is offered, refusing.
Now I use a rather silly analogy, so forgive me for this one.

If you take the index finger from your left hand, and let it droop some, there is nothing stopping the fall.
If you take the index finger from your right hand, and also let it droop. The result is the same. Nothing stops it from falling.
(Here's where it gets sappy).

If you take the two fingers, and rest them against each other. They prop each other up. They both still droop some but they don't fall as far because there is something there to hold them up.
They are both faltering, but by leaning on each other it isn't so bad.

I like to think that is what happens in this forum. A lot of times things aren't going swimmingly for any of us.
If we lean on each other, the fall isn't so far for any of us.
Fortunately for all of you, I am out of time.
Have to go. Though I don't want to.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”