The Noonday Demon

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Monty

The Noonday Demon

Postby Monty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 pm

I have suffered for many years from depression.

Also all my life I have loved to read. So when depression became so all-consuming in my life, when I am well enough I try to educate myself about it.

There are self-help books upon, self-help books, lining the shelves of bookstores. I have a very comprehensive library of them at home. Most are just gathering dust.

It seems though that the ones that I have found that are the most helpful to me, are the ones that have been written by people who have either experienced depression, or who have compiled stories of others who have.

I know that all people have different tastes in books but his is a compliation of depressives experiences.

There are many that I would call, my favorites.
The one of those by my bedside these days (suffer from chronic insomnia) is
"The Noonday Demon" by Andrew Solomon

On the cover it is toted as "an Atlas of Depression" and was a New York Times bestseller.

As part of his filler
"Drawing on his own struggles with the illness and interviews with fellow sufferers, doctors and scientist, policy makers and politicians, drug designers and philosopers, Andrew Solomon reveals the subtle complexities and sheer agaony of the disease".

One of the plugs on the inside cover

"As the great Flaubert discovered, it's hard to write about boring people without being boring oneself. Similarly, it's hard to write at length about depression without depressing the reader. Yet in the "Noonday Demon" Andrew Solomon, through his candor, intellectual elegance, and ultimately his human resilience, manages to write of traumas both deep and ordinary without leaving the reader traumatized. His book is a large achievement:
Larry McMurtry, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Lonesome Dove

Being of somewhat limited resources I don't go out an buy books on spec, very often anymore, and this one I found first at the library, but found it so helpful looked for it in a used bookstore and managed to find a used copy (at half the regular price).I know that all people have different tasts in books but his is a compliation of depressives experiences.
The Chapters are:
Depression
Breakdowns
Treatments
Alternatives
Populations
Addiction
Suicide
History
Poverty
Politics
Evolution
Hope

I find this type of book very helpful to for several reasons.
One is that I find that with education we claim some sort of power
The other is it gives me hope.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 am

Monty - great list! I'm sure it will reach our and help many!!!

The book that changed my life was, "How to Become a Better You," by Joel Osteen.

Inspirational is not even a big enough word for what that book did for me. Thanks again, Monty.

tictactoe

Noonday Demon

Postby tictactoe » Thu May 28, 2009 9:58 pm

:twisted: Noonday Demon is a very special book! It helped me a great deal as I read and reread each page. I want to powerfully recommend this book to each D-Uer.

I hope the author comes out with another.

Tictactoe- TTT

Monty

Postby Monty » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 am

Thanks TTT,

Glad to know that if I suggest a book to someone, that there is someone else who has read it, and feels the same.

It is a fantastic book isn't it. That seems to be the way that we learn best (why this forum is so great) is by being aided by those of us, who have been in the same situation. For those who haven`t read it the author has drawn on the interviews of many people suffering from depression.

TTT, I especially found the chapter on suicide very interesting. I had a person, who was in the throes of their suicide attempt, give me a call after she had taken the pills. After reading his book, I realized just how complex the whole thought process can be, that gets you to that point in your life.

I found it facinating how he approached the subject of suicide, and how truly complicated the whole thing is. Not just having the attitude, that so many seem to have, that they just get tired of life.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. I keep my copy by my bedside (along with the Edge of Darkness, another compliation, by Kathy Cronkite) and go through periods where I read from it every night. Like every good book, even though I have read it through, many times over, I never tire of it.

helium

Postby helium » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I had the chance to read several self books (including depression for dummies) about depression. To be honest, not of them helped very much. The one book I found helpful is the 7 habits for highly effective people. I know it does not talk about depression, but it taught me values such as proactivity that I've been using when it comes to my depression. Of course, it is very hard to practice it and I don't seem to master those habits. I do like think that I have control over my mind and actions.

Hortensia

Monty

Postby Monty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Hortensia

helium

Postby helium » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Monty wrote:Hortensia

Did I say anything wrong? If I did... I'm sorry. I'm really weird.

aim

Postby aim » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:59 pm

(((((Helium))))) No worries, ok? You are not weird... just a lovely human being.

Monty

Postby Monty » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:47 am

It shouldn't have turned out that I sent you a message with just your name. Meant to complete the post.

From my side of the fence, you certainly didn't say or post anything wrong.

You definately, without a doubt not weird.

Take care.

helium

Postby helium » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:31 am

Monty wrote:It shouldn't have turned out that I sent you a message with just your name. Meant to complete the post.

From my side of the fence, you certainly didn't say or post anything wrong.

You definately, without a doubt not weird.

Take care.

My mistake. I always think I'm doing something wrong...

Monty

Postby Monty » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Hortensia,

Don't feel bad.

You have no reason to beat yourself up over something that I did.

Miscommunication is one of the most difficult things to cope with. Each peson feels badly about what happened. It was a mistake on my part.

I can certainly relate to beating yourself up for things that you "think" that you have done wrong.

My mom said that when I was a child that there was no need to punish, if I did something wrong, no one could even touch how I would punish myself.

Obviously I have not gotten rid of that trait, even though I am now 51, over the weekend I felt that I did something really wrong (which probably is debatable, since the other person apologized for it and told me to let it go), I ended up making myself physically sick over it. Did something really stupid. Fortunately it didn't take me too long to stop the behavior.

From someone who beats the crap out of themselves regulary, to a good human being, pleae cut yourself some slack. You are a good person.

aim

Postby aim » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:16 pm

In my opinion, always thinking that you are the one who does or says the wrong thing is that ugly monster called, "low self-esteem." An ailment that I am all to familiar with as well.

Have confidence all! This is a friendly place where we all support each other.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”