Effexor XR

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

pen27

Effexor XR

Postby pen27 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:54 am

Hello everyone. I am trying to taper off of the extended release version of Effexor. I was on 150 mg, and am now down to 37.5 mg, but I'm having difficulty now. They come in capsules, and I'm trying to do it by taking out individual beads until I gradually reach 0. I am not at the point of taking out 8 beads a day, but I'm constantly exhausted and my anxiety is through the roof. Has anyone gone through this process? Any advices?

Thank you.

defeated

Re: Effexor XR

Postby defeated » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

Hey pen,

Yes. Effexor XR withdrawal symptoms are the worst in my experience. But, please call your doctor and let them know what's going on, to my understanding they can supplement another anti-depressant medicine (temporarily) to help to tapering off not be so difficult. Also are you tapering off due to your doctors instructions or on your own?

Hang in there,

<3.

pen27

Postby pen27 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:52 pm

I wanted to get off of Effexor because it was ineffective. I am doing it pursuant to my doctor's instructions, removing the beads gradually. I will ask about temporarily adding another medication-thanks for the advice.

Once I am off of the Effexor, the problem is that I have basically been on every medication and various combinations without any real impact on my depression. Therapy really hasn't helped either, so I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I've been trying to battle this for decades and have no energy left for the fight. I feel like the depression won.

defeated

Postby defeated » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm sorry you're feeling so helpless. I have been very much in the same situation. I've tried a ridiculous amount of meds and years of therapy and I have been officially labeled as 'treatment resistant", which is disheartening in itself. But recently, I have tried to figure out what else I can do so I began looking up different kinds of therapy and new meds I haven't tried. I decided that tools such as CBT (which was effective in the past) needed to be fine tuned and reapplied and I also found a list of meds that I haven't tried and approached my doctor with them. I recently started Brintellix (its going to change its name but forgot to what). It has been okay so far, too early to tell.

I decided after having the same therapist for 6 years and making a lot of progress, it was time to move on to someone different. So I began with a new therapist today, just got back from my first appointment actually hehe. It went well and he does indeed have a different approach. Also, I chose a male therapist this time. I have never had a male therapist so I want to see if my experience is different.

I guess my whole point is, when that feeling of helplessness comes and you feel you've tried everything, that may not be the case. I had to sit a long time and just have the courage to dive in yet again and be proactive with my mental health. I guess (most times) I do not allow there to be another choice. We can't give up.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”