Exercise for Mental Health

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Exercise for Mental Health

Postby CitM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:48 am

I have found that all the medicine and good works and counseling in the world only gets so far. Exercise, whatever form it takes, is the real medicine.
Here are some others, music, singing, arts, taking care of animals, and gardening.

Please add your own 'mental health cures' in reply.

Perhaps this is because this is close to our true purpose of creation, not destruction, except when something needs to be reworked into something truly better.

:)

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:33 pm

I agree that following one's interests is the path to self-knowledge and self-love. Walking my dogs gets me exercise and allows us to bond. They remind me when its time!

That being said, I think that depending on how depressed you feel your order of treatment might follow the path: medication, counseling, following one's interests (especially to fulfill a need for "good works").

Think about when you are sick with the flu, it is hard to be heroic. I think depression is the same way. First, find relief, then improve. You'll know when you're starting to get relief, either with meds, counseling, or good works. Pick your next step as finding the most positive thing you can do with the least anxiety.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”