Lifestyle Changes

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Lifestyle Changes

Postby CitM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm going to try a few lifestyle changes after doing a test for Vegan for the last 13 days.

Also, I was able to sit down with my husband and really 'hear' the sincerity that we have a future together. That means, I now feel secure in our relationship in a way that I haven't since Pres. Obama was elected.

Food is so controversial and so directly tied to health and therefore, mood, that I want to work on this part of my health in earnest. But, I have a family of Omnivors and then one who doesn't know what she is, but seems to lean vegetarian.

So rather than cook three different styles, with three times the food, I'm going to apply the idea that 'half a loaf is better than none' and perhaps this can help everyone in the family a little more easily.

I call it the 3, 2, 1 program. And basically its every week, 3 days vegan, 2 days vegetarian, and the weekend omnivor. I don't expect anyone else to stick to this, but that's how I'm going to serve dinners and on weekends the other meals as omnivorous.

I think I will get better results in a shorter time frame this way and I'll think it will be easier to get some good benefit for me too. Maybe not as quickly, but fairly quickly.

Also, this may help farmers not freak out that all of a sudden animal husbandry is on the brink of extinction. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

I do know this. Milk increases the severity of allergies as do all the milk products. So if you are battling allergies or are lactose intollerant, it might not be the gluttan, but the milk. Also, milk is hard on bones, and that's reality. And last, milk increases inflamation in the body for the same reason it increases allergens. I drink less milk and I've cut out nearly all cheese and I use olive oil. You might try a limited dairy diet, not everything, but be a little less quick on that whole milk, 2 percent or cream in your coffee.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:45 pm

You're the cook Citm ... 3-2-1 sounds like a great and respectful compromise to me.

Congratulations on this conversation:
I was able to sit down with my husband and really 'hear' the sincerity that we have a future together. That means, I now feel secure in our relationship in a way that I haven't since Pres. Obama was elected.

As a depressed person a lot of times I have to take it on faith that my wife will be there for me ... I trust her, but I don't "feel" secure ... I think that a lot of us on here have been hurt by others. For me the worst aspect of depression is to have to decide between knowledge and feelings .... if you have any advice on changing the source of those feelings please share it here. What did he do to convince you of his sincerity? That is a gift I would like to give to my wife :)

CitM

Postby CitM » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 pm

I don' t know what he did differently other than what he has always done.

For me, and I think this is true of a lot of people whose illness is NOT based in actual mental depression or affliction, but has a physical basis for it, I think healing takes awhile. For some people anywhere from 5 to 10 years after a major insult to the body and mind and spirit.

I just 'realized' and mostly because I remember the "Fiddler on the Roof" lyric for the song "Do You Love Me?"

I think a lot of couples in hard times, with lots on their plates go through the working as a team, hit the bed exhausted, hardly see each other through the day, yell at each other over frustrations elsewhere and then work like mad to make a good home a better one.

I think many couples with children especially in the phases of raising children and working like there is no tomorrow have a hard because then a lot of kids and their parents are left with heavy debt of college loans and parent loans that they help their kids pay for and it's like adding insult to injury after they even managed to get their kids into college.

It is NOT uncommon for even well people to wonder if their spouses are going to stick it out with them or not. So in a way, if you can see the love in works, like cleaning and shopping and remember birthdays and planning special evenings out, this is a good thing to remember that this s all love too, even if they nag you to pick up your socks. :)

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:14 pm

One of the things that I hate about depression is that even if intellectually I see
the love in works, like cleaning and shopping and remember birthdays and planning special evenings out, this is a good thing to remember that this s all love too,

I don't FEEL it.

I love your contributions on here, like I love Specter's, Stars, and Nenkohai2s. If I were going to do a "big data" search on these chat rooms I think I would look for the people with the most posts starting in "profiles" and then look for their reports on what made them feel better.

I looked at various posts on here and think things probably worked out pretty well for dust in the wind.

CitM

Postby CitM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:44 am

My mom used to say that life is like being on a boat and we get two oars. Use only one, and you go in circles.

The same is true I think with love and work. You can tell someone adnausea
that you love them, but if you do not do anything to SHOW that you love them or care about them, it's like you go no where.

Same is true with the other oar. If all one does is SHOW someone that they love them, but don't actually say it in a multiple of ways, like hold hands, give a hug, a pat on the back, a footie rub, really talk with each other in an interested way, ... one can make the bed forever and a day and it won't get the message across. Right?

Where I get overwhelmed is that I have a lot of oars and my boat can go really fast or nowhere if those oars are working against each other. I think that's why we started using sails and oars. Sailings is awesome by the way. It feels like flying while being rocked. Doesn't surprise me that they call ships "She"

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”