Ketamine

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Gliffix

Ketamine

Postby Gliffix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:30 pm

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20140923/ketamine-depression

I know this is a controversial subject, but I believe a solid treatment or cure is just around the corner. I have suffered from severe depression for 14 years. It something I would not wish upon anyone.

I am fortunate enough that through personal contacts I was able to get a prescription for ketamine nasal spray. I truly believe that it will help millions of ppl when/if it gets FDA approval. Drug Companies have not really pursued this medication for the treatment of depression, because it has been around for 50-60 years, so why invest millions of dollars in a drug that they can't have exclusive rights to.

My understanding is that it works the exact opposite of all other antidepressants. Instead of flooding your head with Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine. It goes to work on Neurotransmitters restoring and regrowing them making them more effective

Picture it like this, Neurons in the brain that regulate depression and mood become damaged and withered from prolonged stress and depression. (kind of like a tree in the winter, empty and barren ) Ketamine regrows and repairs these neurons and brings them back to life, (like bringing that same tree in the summer, thick and full) making them more effective with the chemistry already naturally produced. Its a backwards look at treating depression, instead of increasing the Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine it in creases the effectiveness of these neurons.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/10/04/162299564/ketamine-relieves-depression-by-restoring-brain-connections See the picture of the neurons about half way down the page.

There are a lot of opposition over ketamine treatment due to its popularity as a club drug in the 90's but one street dose is equal to about ten years of the therapeutic doses used. Others argue that treating depression with a dissociative drug will of course work, but so will other dissociative like LSD, or PCP.

Feel free to form you own opinion but I urge you to do research on it and if you can try it. It has been an amazing blessing in my life, before getting on ketamine I would pray nightly for god just to let me die. I can not tell you how many time I have attempted and failed at suicide, but I have been put on psychiatric holds after being found during attempts that would have worked. I felt like I was such a failure, I couldn't even take my own life.

I urge you to look into this treatment so you to can get your life back, and if you can do all that you can to help ketamine get approved for the treatment of depression. Join advocacy groups, write letters, whatever it takes.

I am not a Dr. I have no affiliation with drug companies, and I do not encourage drug abuse, but I felt like I needed to share this information and hopefully restore some hope in ppl who have suffered from depression for years like i have.

Gliffix

I just wanted to add another opinion

Postby Gliffix » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 pm

When you get a prescription for ketamine, they send you to a compound pharmacy. A compound pharmacy makes the drugs according to you and your physiatrists recommendations. While talking with the Pharmacy tech he mentioned that ketamine has a success rate of about 70% percent. As opposed to the 33% rate of other medications.

I'll post more information as i come across it.

cowboy954

Re: Ketamine

Postby cowboy954 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:24 pm

I have had success with ketamine that makes it seem like a miracle. Too bad its damn near impossible to find someone to write a script for it.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 am

I would feel better about posts from people who have a history on the board before popping up with two posts and proposing a miracle cure. I'm not saying that these folks have a hidden agenda, but why post on this board if you are feeling good?

If you look at the read / post ratio you can see that often only 1 in 20 people post.

If you are a reader, please note that if you do find something that improves your life, that information will be a lot more believeable if we know who you are rather than someone who comes to the door to simply spread good news.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 am

Gliffix wrote:http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20140923/ketamine-depression

I know this is a controversial subject, but I believe a solid treatment or cure is just around the corner. I have suffered from severe depression for 14 years. It something I would not wish upon anyone.

I am fortunate enough that through personal contacts I was able to get a prescription for ketamine nasal spray. I truly believe that it will help millions of ppl when/if it gets FDA approval. Drug Companies have not really pursued this medication for the treatment of depression, because it has been around for 50-60 years, so why invest millions of dollars in a drug that they can't have exclusive rights to.

My understanding is that it works the exact opposite of all other antidepressants. Instead of flooding your head with Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine. It goes to work on Neurotransmitters restoring and regrowing them making them more effective

Picture it like this, Neurons in the brain that regulate depression and mood become damaged and withered from prolonged stress and depression. (kind of like a tree in the winter, empty and barren ) Ketamine regrows and repairs these neurons and brings them back to life, (like bringing that same tree in the summer, thick and full) making them more effective with the chemistry already naturally produced. Its a backwards look at treating depression, instead of increasing the Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine it in creases the effectiveness of these neurons.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/10/04/162299564/ketamine-relieves-depression-by-restoring-brain-connections See the picture of the neurons about half way down the page.

There are a lot of opposition over ketamine treatment due to its popularity as a club drug in the 90's but one street dose is equal to about ten years of the therapeutic doses used. Others argue that treating depression with a dissociative drug will of course work, but so will other dissociative like LSD, or PCP.

Feel free to form you own opinion but I urge you to do research on it and if you can try it. It has been an amazing blessing in my life, before getting on ketamine I would pray nightly for god just to let me die. I can not tell you how many time I have attempted and failed at suicide, but I have been put on psychiatric holds after being found during attempts that would have worked. I felt like I was such a failure, I couldn't even take my own life.

I urge you to look into this treatment so you to can get your life back, and if you can do all that you can to help ketamine get approved for the treatment of depression. Join advocacy groups, write letters, whatever it takes.

I am not a Dr. I have no affiliation with drug companies, and I do not encourage drug abuse, but I felt like I needed to share this information and hopefully restore some hope in ppl who have suffered from depression for years like i have.

Ketamine sounds like a drug that can be addictive and you have to spend a long time taking it , to see a breakthrough. I would say take it with caution. It also sounds like something that has quite a few side effects. There are things you can do to combat depression. Fight these negative thoughts and believe in yourself. Eventually this depression will go. Its mainly a state of mind.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”