Trouble Getting Meds

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

cgaze2

Trouble Getting Meds

Postby cgaze2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am

Hi everyone..... Well, I'm a little bit overwhelmed. I live on a small island, & I've been unable to make an appointment to get my meds straightened out for my seizure "symptoms" & history of seizures. No doctor who's heard of me suffering seizures & symptoms knows what's wrong. I do everything I can to prevent an actual seizure, SO I HAVE NOT PASSED OUT, since 8 years ago. (Passing out is expensive!)

I was at the doctor last month, & the medicine prescribed (gabapentin/neurontin, 300mg, 3x daily) was too strong for me. It sedated me too much that I cannot try to work or go back to school while taking it. I AM LUCKY I WOKE UP AFTER THE 2ND DOSE! Maybe the 3rd dose would've been the death of me.

This is here because some of the anti-seizure meds reduce anxiety & can be used in the treatment of depression. It's not that the Neurontin doesn't work; it's that IT'S TOO STRONG.

What's exactly the trouble? The doctor only comes maybe twice per month to see patients..... I've called several times, left messages a few times & they have not been returned. I even got told the person is "busy"; I was ultra annoyed! The other doctor? He was booked till March, when I called in December. The problem with switching doctors? I may have to repeat tests which are $1,000+ (maybe a whole lot more than that) & worse, the new doc may not believe anything is wrong because usually my tests do not show anything of consequence, & I have not had another seizure in some years.

The only thing that really came up on the test was sensitivity to light FOR WHICH I'M IMMENSELY GRATEFUL. Part of the problem with being able to see a doctor is that a lot of people left & have not returned since the 2 Cat 5 Hurricanes Irma & Maria. There was a sharp decline in the clientele. ~sigh~ I guess all I can do is hope that the receptionist is looking out for me after all. I'm eager to resolve this seizure business that has helped me to lose 15 years off of my life battling it.

j2415

Re: Trouble Getting Meds

Postby j2415 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I’m sorry to hear that you have trouble getting medicines and doctor comes only twice per month.
I hope sooner, there will be solution in this matter. I understand that switching doctor is like starting from the very beginning. I hope you can get the help you need.

Take care of yourself and I pray for healing.Please keep us posted. God bless.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”