The story of Obayan.....

Other hobbies and interests.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Obayan

The story of Obayan.....

Postby Obayan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Not sure where to exactly put this... but so many seem so interested, here is the legend behind my name as my grandfather used to tell it to me.

Back before any white men ever came to America, the land was covered with buffalo, horses and Indians. The Apache (who call themselves "The People") were abundant across the plaines. Each tribe, each village, would occassionally raid and war with eachother. A tribe of Crow attacked The People one day. A woman named Obayan was working in the fields and helped to hide the children while the men fought. Obayan's husband was killed. She hadn't been married for long, so her love was fresh in her spirit. In her grief, Obayan tracked the raiders back to their village. She snuck in to the celebrations and cozied up to the chief of this tribe. In his drunken like stupor after the festivities and after may retellings of his tale of bravery in the raid, she went with him to his teepee to retire for the night. She laid with him that night. In her pain and agony over the loss of her husband, she opened herself to him. While he slept, she took his boots (to show he will never travel with the ancient sprits), his best knife (to show his weakness) and his scalp (so he can not be recognized in the underworld). She gave these things as a gift to her husband's mother. It brought great comfort as they grieved their loss together.

I wanted a connection to someone as strong and as powerful as this woman was. So when I joined here, I took on her name.

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:26 am

I see....!

That is so interesting! Wow! :shock:

(Avenging at its utmost.... Yikes!)

Return to “Other/Miscellaneous Interests”