Buffy rules!!!!!!!

Other hobbies and interests.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

lisalou

Buffy rules!!!!!!!

Postby lisalou » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:39 am

Hi TackingIntoTheWind, i just saw what you wrote on another post about liking Buffy the vampire slayer and I just wanted to say I am a HUGE fan too, have recently completed a marathon of re-watching all seven series in a row, it distracted me from many hours of depression and there are some truly great lines in it. Just the other day I was thrilled to find part 3 of the accompanying book the Watcher's guide in a Mind charity shop, i've never been able to find that one before. And the money went to helping other people with mental health needs!!! Having completed my mission I might start on my box set of This Life Dvd's...do you remember that show?

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I remember This Life being on, but it was never a show that I got into myself. Perhaps it was a bit too much like " real life ." ( I personally believe that reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction! )
However, I have been a Buffy fan for years! The first time I saw Buffy was even before it was broadcast in this country. A friend of mine was sent the series pilot by a friend of his in the US, split into two episodes, and a few of us watched it in his home. And I've been hooked ever since!
Afterall, how many series offer a British librarian like Rupert Giles as a role-model for a geek such as myself? I very often remind myself of the deep wisdom of Buffy's first rule of vampire-slaying: " Don't die! "
And, I often think about the third season opening episode, " Anne. " If even Buffy finds things are all too much for her sometimes, then that makes me feel better about feeling the same way myself on occasion. ( Although, Buffy did have a particularly difficult range of problems, I'd be the first to admit!!!! )
Are you reading Buffy, Series 8, the comic Joss Whedon is doing at the moment, that's taken off from where the TV series stopped? I'm really enjoying it. I've been ordering it through a friend of mine who runs a comic shop.
Normally, I could bore for Britain about Buffy, but this afternoon was the office Christmas party. It was fun, but there was a certain social anxiety at the back of my mind as well. So, I'm feeling a bit wiped. Otherwise this would be an even longer post!
I know what you mean about shows like this being a distraction from depression. I'm a huge fan of The West Wing. And, I've often slipped a disc of this into my player when I need an " emotional rescue . " In fact, I think I'll carry on rewatching season 4 tonight.
( PS. I just wish they would find the original, lost Buffy pilot, where Buffy's Welsh birth and background are explained! )

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:53 am

Buffy is indeed fantastic! I've never really got into the comics but i have just got a book called Queen of the slayers, a 'what happened next...' book set right after the big finale when they all escaped in that bus.

I'm sorry but i'm gonna have to tell you something.....

deep breath......

you can handle it.........

BUFFY IS NOT WELSH!!!!!!

(sorry)

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 am

Buffy is SO Welsh! This is just a typical English attempt to hijack authentic Celtic cultural figures to hide the culturally-barren nature of the post-modernist English zeitgeist. ( So there! )
Buffy can sing sweetly and plaintively-Welsh! ( Wales is the Land of Song. )
Buffy is prone to feeling misunderstood and overlooked-Welsh!
Buffy is heroic in the face of impossible odds-Welsh! ( Given the disparity between the populations of Wales and England, each Welsh person has to attempt to civilize 12 English people. )
Buffy can't meet an English person without arguing with them-Welsh! ( Eg: Giles, and the entire Watcher's Council! )
Buffy is always obviously comfortable in caves, tunnels, etc-Welsh! ( Buffy obviously comes from a long line of coal-miners. )
Buffy tends to sympathize with people who are " on the outside looking in "-Welsh!
In short, Buffy is as Welsh as William Shakespeare or Neil Armstrong!
Although, to show that there are no hard feelings I am going to share my first attempt at a haiku with you. ( At least, I think it's a haiku. I've never really been sure of the exact definition of a syllable.......)

Early Morning Walk To 'Bus Stop 21/12/09

Ice/snow crunches white
Darkness,colour shop lights
Needed 'bus won't wait

xn728

hey there

Postby xn728 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52 pm

hey you two guys ,yorkshire was a very large mining community
maybe buffy was a yorkshire lass ,,HEY UP BUFFY FLOWER ,,LOL,,,,,,,KEN

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Oh alright then, i surrender, clearly buffy is as welsh as a dragon with a leek up its bottom.

p.s welcome to the world of haiku

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:13 am

(((( Silent, but tactful, smugness! ))))

Return to “Other/Miscellaneous Interests”