Who would you like to spend an evening with?

Other hobbies and interests.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Who would you like to spend an evening with?

Postby CitM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 pm

One of the MOST annoying questions for me on the planet was this one. Why? BECAUSE I find a lot of people in that category and how can I choose just one?

BUT, after starting to get to know people from all sorts of different countries I think I have finally settled on an answer.

George Clooney. Seriously. First of all, I like his humor and he has a lot of funny stories and is funny. I always wondered why he was chuckling his way through ER and now I know what some of it was. Secondly, he's interested in genocidal issues and what happens to conquered peoples. He's interesting because he understand the native in an occupied land better than I ever could. And I'd love to see HAwaii's retaining transportation walls that are made from obsidian. So beautiful. I am sure there is more to him than just this as well. It would be fun to get his perspective on things and especially what he thinks would be a good direction for humanity.

I have to giggle at what the next civilization will think if they unearth those obsidian walls. I can hear it now. 'Temples' 'sacred energies' some kind of ancient device, a place where only royal assemblies would walk along, funeral etc. Sometimes archaeology gets it right, and sometimes they get it wrong. But it would be interesting depending on how much of the obsidian retaining walls they find what they think it is and what they think it was used for.

So who would you like to spend an evening with and why?

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:40 pm

CitM,

I read this post, and decided to think about it.

I thought about it for two days, but then forgot to post back.

I love your thought about the "obsidian walls". I have the same thought about many things around me. Cars for one. I can't help but think that our descendants will wonder about us in the same way we wonder about people from the 19th century. How could they always go around in ALL those clothes? They will wonder why we thought we had to move around so much, and why we had to have so many THINGS ... Why did the people in the 19th century have to have so many different forks and spoons to eat?

Most of us will not be able to share time with George Clooney, but there are thoughtful and wonderful people all around us. I think that we can keep our eyes and ears open, and try to engage with those people when they want to. When you're waiting in line find something to agree on with the people near you: maybe the Weather ... but after that find out what is important to them. They may not share your values, in which case, at least you agree on the weather. On the other hand, if they do share your values who knows what new opportunities can open up for you.

specter

Enigmatic.

Postby specter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Pamela Adlon.

She seems very down-to-earth and straightforward, on the surface, but if you pay close attention, she's a remarkably deep person. It also sounds like she's lived a fascinating life, from what little I've heard in podcasts and interviews. There are aspects of her that are very enigmatic to me. It would be neat to get to pick her brain.

defeated

Postby defeated » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:39 am

Hey guys,

This is an interesting question haha. Sadly no one comes to mind right away, not sure if thats good or bad lol. I will get back to you on this.....

Anyone else have a response?

AvalonMyst

Who I'd like to spend an evening with

Postby AvalonMyst » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:37 pm

If I could go back in time - I'd like to spend an evening with Thomas Paine and discuss his writings and philosophies.

Not sure about who I would like to spend an evening with in present day, there's several.

dougsan

TOO MANY TO LIST?

Postby dougsan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:19 pm

If I could spend only one night with one person I would choose Mahatma Gandhi. Such a seemingly simple person who taught millions of people how to be free and peaceful.

Return to “Other/Miscellaneous Interests”