A Negative Message

Other hobbies and interests.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

St8arrow

A Negative Message

Postby St8arrow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 am

"Time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all of its pupils."

Sorry, I don't have access to the name of the person who wrote this "quote." I do believe that he lived a long time ago.

Destination

Postby Destination » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:44 am

lol that is a very true quote, now I have a reply that I think might be interesting to think on.

We are all going to die, everyone dies, there is no escaping death. When one ponders this thought at first it seems morbid, but when you consider the deeper meaning it comes to this.

Death is scary, we are all afraid of it to some degree or another. Because it is a great unknown. Questions like how will we die, and whats it like after death, can not be answered with any solidarity. We have only our faith, hope and beliefs on what happens after death.

So if death is the scariest thing of all, what else in life is there to be afraid of? Why should we be afraid to try new things, when death is the ultimate fear?

Perhaps such things as humiliation, anger, rejection and pain are not things to be feared, but experiences to be treasured because it is part of being wholly alive in this wonderful world.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Thank you St8arrow.

Destination, very good reply.

Death is scary because of the unknown. Yet just yesterday, through conversation with my guest, someone brought this up. One reply I heard was, 'Is it the unknown or is it the fear of being forgotten?'... Good question.

Some answers were given and one that hit home was... 'Then live the day and make your mark, you enjoy the time you have, and others will enjoy and remember you!'

Warmie

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Louis Hector Berlioz (December 11, 1803 – March 8, 1869)

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Letter written in November 1856, published in Pierre Citron (ed.) Correspondance générale (Paris: Flammarion, 1989) vol. 5, p. 390; Paul Davies About Time: Einstein’s Unfinished Revolution (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996) p. 214.

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Warmsoul/Jeanie13 wrote:Louis Hector Berlioz (December 11, 1803 – March 8, 1869)

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Letter written in November 1856, published in Pierre Citron (ed.) Correspondance générale (Paris: Flammarion, 1989) vol. 5, p. 390; Paul Davies About Time: Einstein’s Unfinished Revolution (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996) p. 214.

You're something else Warmie and I do mean that in a positive way. Thank you for finding out who the author of the quote was. 8)

St8arrow

Death itself

Postby St8arrow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Both Warmie and Destination have made excellent comments about this topic. I think I will begin by putting forward two poems. For Destination's benefit, --- you will find them in the section on poetry near the end of the self-published book that I directed you to.

THIS QUIET DUST

Here in my curving hands I cup

This quiet dust; I lift it up.

Here is the mother of all thought;

Of this the shining heavens are wrought,

The laughing lips, the feet that rove,

The face, the body, that you love:

Mere dust, no more, yet nothing less,

And this has suffered consciousness,

Passion, and terror, this again

Shall suffer passion, death, and pain.

For, as all flesh must die, so all,

Now dust shall live. ’Tis natural;

Yet hardly do I understand---

Here in the hollow of my hand

A bit of God Himself I keep,

Between two vigils, fallen asleep.

John Hall Wheelock (1886-unknown]

THERE IS A BEAUTY AT THE GOAL OF LIFE

There is a beauty at the goal of life,

A beauty growing since the world began,

Through every age and race, through lapse and strife

Till the great human soul complete her span.

Beneath the waves of storm that lash and burn,

The currents of blind passion that appall,

To listen and keep watch till we discern

The tide of sovereign truth that guides it all;

So to address our spirits to the height,

And so attune them to the valiant whole,

That the great light be clearer for our light,

And the great soul the stronger for our soul;

To have done this is to have lived, though fame

Remember us with no familiar name.

(Archibald Lampman)

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Destination wrote:lol that is a very true quote, now I have a reply that I think might be interesting to think on.

We are all going to die, everyone dies, there is no escaping death. When one ponders this thought at first it seems morbid, but when you consider the deeper meaning it comes to this.

Death is scary, we are all afraid of it to some degree or another. Because it is a great unknown. Questions like how will we die, and whats it like after death, can not be answered with any solidarity. We have only our faith, hope and beliefs on what happens after death.

From St8arrow

Everyone knows that having a dead-line definitely focuses ones attention on whatever achievement one is involved in at that particular time. I see death as the ultimate dead-line. Are you or are you not going to do something of value with the incredible miracle of life that you have been lucky enough to experience.

I know that must sound useless to someone who is suffering from depression and actually thinks about death as the ultimate escape, but that is part of what I mean when I use the expression at the bottom of my messages about --- our lack of understanding of fear itself.

Fear causes avoidance behavior but if you react correctly to fear, it will motivate you to increase your knowledge. Once again I find myself standing on my imaginary soap-box. I hope you are not talking to yourself right now. If you are it probably goes something like this. I hope this arrogant fool falls off his imaginary soap-box and breaks his whatever. -:)

From Destination

So if death is the scariest thing of all, what else in life is there to be afraid of? Why should we be afraid to try new things, when death is the ultimate fear?

From St8arrow

Well Destination the next ultimate fear is the fear of failure. I suppose I am going too far here, but I believe, most definitely, that before someone is told that they have a serious mental problem; that the individual in question has a distorted and conglomerated fear of the feelings of fear itself. That fear can actually paralyze someone into doling nothing.

From Destination

Perhaps such things as humiliation, anger, rejection and pain are not things to be feared, but experiences to be treasured because it is part of being wholly alive in this wonderful world.
:lol: :lol:

Well said Destination:

I like to refer to the achievement of learning to walk for a young child. Fortunately, their "young" brain has not developed the ability to be humiliated just yet. Otherwise after falling down a number of times, a child might just give up. Instead they just keep falling down until finally they learn to walk. Then the poor Mother sometimes wishes they were just crawling again. There wouldn't be quite so much to worry about them hurting themselves. :lol:

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Warmsoul/Jeanie13 wrote:Thank you St8arrow.

Destination, very good reply.

Death is scary because of the unknown. Yet just yesterday, through conversation with my guest, someone brought this up. One reply I heard was, 'Is it the unknown or is it the fear of being forgotten?'... Good question.

Some answers were given and one that hit home was...

'Then live the day and make your mark, you enjoy the time you have, and others will enjoy and remember you!'

Warmie

Your above message is --- Excellent --- Warmie!!!!

I have an unrelated question for you. The pace in the Chat Rooms is too much for me but I would like to visit there from time to time. For reasons that may or may not be appropriate, I have been barred from entering the Chat Room. The one that I am able to enter was completely empty so I was left talking to an idiot. (myself) So here is the question. Am I barred for eternity or do I get a reprieve in 50 years or so??

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:30 pm

St8arrow,

The forums are different than the chat room. If you have questions on the chat room, please use the 'contact us' button. Please don't bring the issue into the forums again.

Thanks

Warmie

Destination

Postby Destination » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:01 am

Warmie, you asked in an earlier post what do people fear most about dying?

I suppose for some it is being forgotten. For me it isn't that, though of course I would hate to think I wouldn't be remembered. I just think of all the things I love doing and feel sad and scared when I think that I would no longer be able to do them.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:48 am

(((((((( Destination )))))))))))

That is understandable. You are still young. You have touched my life, so you made a mark of kindness, thank you for that.

Warmie

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 am

Destination wrote:Warmie, you asked in an earlier post what do people fear most about dying?

I suppose for some it is being forgotten. For me it isn't that, though of course I would hate to think I wouldn't be remembered. I just think of all the things I love doing and feel sad and scared when I think that I would no longer be able to do them.

Those thoughts are beautiful. Wouldn't it be nice if more people thought like you do. Remember what I said about death being the ultimate dead-line. If you react correctly to this fear, it will motivate you to do as much as you can to make this world a better place then it was before you came on the scene.

Call me pollyannic if you want to, but the more people who try to achieve the above goals, --- in my not so humble opinion, --- the better this old world will be in the future.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:50 am

Okay, let's talk about life, not death. :) That is what we are doing. Living and supporting others.

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 pm

" So if death is the scariest thing of all, what else in life is there to be afraid of? "
Speaking personally, as a single man, the thing that frightens me is...COMMITMENT!!!! :shock: :lol:
There are approximately three and a half BILLION women on the planet. Even if you subtract all the married women, this leaves a vast number of single, and potentially marriage-crazed women, any one of whom could swoop down on any single man caught in the open! :o :wink:
Before he knows it that poor guy will be spending his Saturday in clothes shops, as his wife or girlfriend tries on every dress in every shop, and then buys the first dress she tried on three hours ago...And then, she'll take it back the next day because it doesn't go with her favourite... bracelet!! :roll: :wink:
And, there's no warning when you might meet " the girl of your dreams "!
Any number of my male friends have told me the sad tale of how they were just walking along, minding their own business, and suddenly they were part of " a couple " ! :o :shock:
A friend of mine at work, Michelle, even told me that if I was married my wife would expect me to love her MORE than I love Star Trek!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
And, committed relationships very often lead to marriage...If I was married I'd have a Mother-In-Law. A Mother-In-Law who would either think I wasn't good enough for her daughter, ( Which would be awkward. ), or she'd like me, ( And, that would just be weird! )
I'm just going to head home, hide from commitment, and try to avoid making eye-contact with any women, in case they fall in love with me and try to lure me into a committed relationship.

AND, I can prove that committed relations/marriage are bad for men's health...

EVERY man who got married in the year 1800 is dead.

While the vast majority of men who were single in the year 2000 are still alive... :)
Last edited by TackingIntoTheWind on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:46 pm

(((((((((( TackingIntoTheWind )))))))))))))

LOl, you always, always make me laugh. You will be a fine 'husband/father' someday, only when the time is right for you.

All women do not, repeat.. do not like to shop! How do I know this?? I am one of those women. Give me the jeans and t-shirts and I am happy.

For someone to love, how ever they love, is strictly up to them. Me, when I love it is because I do and can. You don't expect it, it just happens. LOL stop listening to the 'war stories' of others. Let life come to you and just enjoy it. Hint: find someone that loves Star-Trek as much as you do. :wink:

I am a mother-in-law and I will say I do not have 'in-law' children. I only have sons and daughters. Maybe it is my weak and feeble brain, but this is how it works in my family. I am just 'Mom'.

Warmie

Return to “Other/Miscellaneous Interests”